Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: House water filter system

Ouch, don’t shower in that. I think a cup of bleach for that amount of water is used as a shock to the tank. I’ll get the info, but it will be Mon before I can get back to ya’.

For now, I’d drain the tank (including the hot water heater) and keep flushing it until the bleach odor is gone. You might be surprised at the crap that will come out of there.

To render water potable with bleach, the correct ratio is 1/2 teasoon (.33 oz.) of bleach for every 5 gallons of water.

Water tank Procedure

So I guess the correct amount with our FW 287 gal tank would be about 5 oz. I have to say that the amount I put for routine use doesn't produce a noticeable chlorine odor.

At the beginning of the season, I put a GALLON of clorox in the tank, then fill it completely with water, run the water through all the fixtures for several minutes, shut off the fixtures and leave it overnight, making sure the icemakers are empty so they will be making ice all night. Next day I run all of the water out of the tank through all the fixtures, fill the tank again (no clorox) and run the water out through all the fixtures. Then I add a "cup" of clorox and fill the tank again. After this, I empty the icemakers again and let them make ice for a day before using any of the ice.

I have to admit I don't measure the "cup" of clorox I put in - a couple of "dollops," I estimate it at a cup but it is probably somewhat less than that. Then I fill the tank and consider it done. From that point on, I add the "couple of dollops each time I fill the tank.

There is never any odd odor or color in the tank water from the taps.

Again, we now use bottled water for most things per the Admiral, but I don't know what could possibly be alive in the tanks after that treatment!

Upon revisiting my old research I have found the following:

According to Clorox: Bleach can be used to clean or “shock” tanks before using them to store water. Fill the tank with water and add 1 cup of bleach for each 50 gallons of water. Let sit for 10 mins and then drain it. Rinse the tank with water until the taste of bleach is gone.

For regular maint: According to my research of public water systems (reference I can’t find at this time) you want at least 0.2 ppm to no more than .6ppm free available chlorine in the system. And you get that from the city water supply anyway. Therefore, no need to add any to the system.

Shocking the tank once a year may be a good idea. Adding bleach every time you fill up is unnecessary.

I know guys who take on 400 gals on their way to the Bahamas and drink off that for months without ever adding bleach and their water stays ok.

I still would not drink from the tank untill a proper filtration system is in place to remove anything the tank may add to the mix.

For those who are interested I put together the water filter system for my 36. It consists of a 10" housing for a 5 micron pre-filter ($39.99), a 20" housing for a .5 micron carbon filter ($55.99), and a 5gpm 110v UV sterilizer ($239.99). The filters run $7.49 for the 5 micron and $25.99 for the .5 micron carbon. Complete system cost w/ 2 of each replacement filters and shipping ran $455.00. A 12v UV was available but the folks said to leave it on 24/7, I was afraid of it draining the battery in the event of shore power loss so I went with 110v. I'll set it up be on anytime there is 110v available (a small inverter could be used), lamp life is forecast at 8000hrs ($75 per replacement bulb).

I system may be a bit overkill but it will protect the entire boat including the shower and ice machine. We cruise the Bahamas a LOT and the water purchased at out islands can be questionable, plus I've paid $1 per bottled water (case price ) now we can drink from the faucet.

I'm not sure forum rules allow posting of the product sources (internet) so if anyone wants them PM me. Mike

Re: icemakers....There was a highschool student in the news recently that did a science fair project of visiting 30 fast food restaurants. She took a sample of water from the ice machine, or ordered a cup of ice. Then she went to the restroom and took a sample of water from the toilet of each restaurant. She then analyzed the contents for critters.........you guessed it!......the toilet water had less bad stuff in it than the ice machines!!!

It turns out that they're very hard to keep clean inside and that there are plenty of bacteria that do just fine at 25 to 30 degrees.

My icemaker works OK, but we never use it, unless to use it as a secondary referigerator on a long haul with the genny running.

Doug Shuman

I pulled out my icemaker and replaced it with a bar-size refrigerator. Then we replaced the galley fridge with a side-by-side with ice in the door. The galley fridge water runs through the filter under the sink and then through another charcoal filter in the fridge itself.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mike,
    Do you plan on using the water when you don't have 110v available? Will this contaminate the water in the lines if it doesn't run thru the UV? I also would be concerned about drawing down the batteries with the 12v uv light. I guess that you could replace your FW pump with a 110v pump so that only treated water is passed thru the system.
    Mark

I use peroxide to treat my tank. It's so much easier. Just put it in when you leave the boat, when you return the work has been done. Any left in the water evaporates. No taste. You guys have never lived in the country. We have used holding tanks and cisterns for our water for years.

BILL

FWIW, I have lived aboard with my wife, and occasionally daughter, for over 7 years, and the previous owner lived aboard with 2 daughters for 2 years. We both used tank water for everything. I did add a home depot filter that has not only the sediment filter, but an internal charcoal filter. I set it up to only filter the water on the cold water side of the galley (the filter doesn't need replaced too often that way) and our ice as well as drinking water comes from that faucet ONLY. We also add just under a cup of bleach (clorox brand, as I read somewhere it is the purest) to 250 gallons of tank water. No taste and no odor.
    So far no one has been sick by unknown causes that might be related to drinking tank water. I know not everyone lives aboard, however, we now live in SW Florida and it DOES get Hot down here. Our tank only lasts about 2 weeks, but again, we have had no problems drinking the tap water. Hope this information helps. If I only spent weekends on the boat, I would probably do the same, except I would only add enough water to the tank (and the appropriate amount of Clorox) to last two or three weeks.
    Also, I only use tank water till it runs completely out. It will invariably run out when my wife is in the shower, so dock water is always hooked up to the boat, but with a shutoff valve at the inlet to the boat. When the water runs out, a flip of the quarter turn valve allows completion of the shower and whatever else needs done, until the tank can be refilled.
    I almost forgot. As well as bleach, we add 2 teaspoons of a water conditioner from Starbrite. I don't recall what it is called (PM me if you want to know and I will look it up and report back) and it does a superior job of lproviding VERY fresh tasting water!!! Again, FWIW
    Norm Mayer
    Aboard Runaround Sue (1970 44' Hatt Tricabin)
    in N Ft Myers, FL