Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

House water filter system

I'm ready to install my flake ice machine but I need a multi-stage water filtration system with UV to feed it. The package will also feed both faucets and shower with the exception of the cockpit fresh water washdown, it seems a 8-10gpm system is the correct capacity. It sure would be nice to drink the water for a change. Does anyone have a source? Thanks, Mike

Re: House water filter system

Mike,

I just bought a new U-line icemaker today to replace the dead one in my wetbar and was thinking of a filter for it as well. A few months ago, either Yachting or Power & Motoryacht magazine did an article on the quality of the water in fresh water tanks aboard boats, including several megayachts. Most boats' tanks were fed by watermakers, so the water being put into them is about as pure as it gets. Unfortunately, they did find surprising levels of "undesirables" in all tanks, even the newest tanks and tanks that were supposedly properly maintained. The conclusion was to drink bottled water while aboard to be safe, and use the water in your tanks for everything else. I believe that ice falls in the gray area, as you never drink any large quantity of the water by simply using the ice for cocktails, etc. so that should be fine.

Several months ago I replaced the dying refrigerator with a standard 22 cubic foot GE side-by-side that has a water filter built in so that the ice it makes and the water it dispenses is filtered. Who knows how good that filter actually is but although I do use it for ice in drinks all the time, I still do not drink the water. I fill my tanks with city water via marine hose and I add a cup of bleach in with every 200+ gal fill-up. I do use it to brush my teeth, but I try not to swallow it just in case.

I will be quite interested as well to see what the experts on this forum have to offer on this important subject.

Thanks for the reply, My ice maker is designed to make around 200-250lbs of ice when set up to run overnight, thats around 30 gallons. The idea was to use it as drink ice too as the Bahamian ice gets a little pricey and questionable. I figured a 3 to 4 stage UV super duper filter would do the trick. Mike

4. Re: House water filter system

Crud in tanks can be surprisingly significant. But don't think your home is any better. Just cut open any water line in your home and you'll be amazed how dirty the water lines are. After thirty years, some become calcified and the water lines flow severely restrcited. Apparently all water carries some sediment and over time it builds up.
    I just changed the heating element in my hot water tank a few days ago...I stuck my finger in the 12 gallon tank bottom where the heating element was previously mounted...rusty crud came up to my first knuckle....this is a six year old stainless steel tank. The tank itself was shiny as new...I assume the rust muck came from prior heating elements...I replace them every other year and they are always corroded..I had never peered inside the tank before with a flashlight..it was scary..
    In this case, I got a hose aboard with a spray nozzle and "pressure washed" the tank putting the crud into solution..after three rinses the water drain was finally clear....now the rust muck was in the bilge so I had to rinse that as well and then pump it...but all is clear for the time being..

There is no system that can match a well placed drain to permit periodic rinsing of fresh water (and fuel) tanks...Alas, that is all too rare..

I have cannister water filters at the wet bar and the galley sink. I've forgotten the brand but they are about the size of a large auto oil filter with a replaceble element. I also put a cup of clorox in every time I fill the FW tanks. I run the tank out of water at least weekly so it's turned over often which, I think, is a critical issue.

Frankly, I used to drink the tank water all the time but the Admiral is adamant that we not drink it (She also won't drink "bathroom" water at the house - go figure). So we carry bottled water for general water-drinking. However, she's OK with ice cubes or teeth-brushing. When I'm on the boat myself, I make coffee with the tank water but she's pretty much trained me to drink bottled now.

In any case, I have found Mount Gay rum to be totally safe at all times. In fact, I'm drinking it even as I type with absolutely no ill effects!

The best (cheapest) place to get "whole house" water filters is....Homeless Depot. I have rough, fine, and uv filters in line just after my pump manifold, and they work great, no taste. I also run my watermaker all the time to load the generators, so the feed water is a good as it gets. But even if I fill up with SoCal tapwater (aka mineral concentrate) I can't taste it.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Seagull IV filter is the way to go , see this link http://www.drink-water.com/point.htm..............Pat

Just a point to make: ice made from contaminated water is NOT safe and plenty of folks have gotten sick off of it. I don't think that tank water in a boat ought to be consumed (ingested) unless it was filtered and UV treated and, as Mike says, turned over frequently. The basic problem is that unless you live on your boat and use the water system all the time, stuff sits and grows in there.
    The basic things that can make you ill from drinking tank water are as follows:
    1) stuff that's alive- this is bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi. Usually a combination of filters and UV treatment will reduce these levels to safe, but not always.
    2) stuff that's poisonous: fuel, solvents, cleaning solutions, etc. Usually the taste puts you off these, but not always.

Having lived aboard for many years, I used tank water for showering and dishwashing only, and kept bottled water on the boat. I do not recommend tank water for brushing your teeth, or drinking. It may be safe to cook using tank water, but you don't really know. I think if you have a good multistage filtering system plus UV treatment, you can be somewhat reassured. Frankly I would still carry bottled water for drinking.

Having treated countless cases of "turista" over the years, and also experienced it myself, I carry a cooler of ice and bottled water for drinking. Not all the illnesses that people acquire from bad water are brief- it is possible to get Hepatitis A, as well as various fungal infections that can be quite serious, from bad water. Better to avoid it.

Oh, and as Mike said, rum, while having its' own risks, is safe with regard to the issues at hand. Ice, however, is not. Mixed with lime juice and bottled water, however, rum is safe and traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt
    I fill my tanks with city water via marine hose and I add a cup of bleach in with every 200+ gal fill-up.
    Mike, a cup of bleach is way too much for 200gals. 3-4 ounces would be the correct amount based on the research that I have done. I can’t reference that at this time but will if you require.

I'd be interested in what the right amount is.....at my last fillup (250 gallons), I put ALOT more than a cup of bleach in....
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser