Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Funny Story About Replacing Boat Batteries

I had an 8D explode in my face, like a stick of dynamite going off, I was acid burned, luckily I wore safety glasses though they were in pieces, I still have a scar on my nose from it. If I had to move an 8D from below decks first thing to do is to wrap it up so as to not spill any acid, then get a small dolly that you can pull up stairs or just roll it around. Most important is to prevent it from leaking and shorting the terminals, its hard to drain one unless you can invert it over a tub. I would never try to cut one apart, too dangerous in many ways. One could put it in one of those tubs you buy at Walmart and seal it with duck tape and find some eager young helpers.

The explosion hazard is from the hydrogen gas, my thinking is that if the battery was drained completely (I mean ziltch voltage), and the acid removed wouldn't it just be a plastic box and lead? Am I missing something here? My batteries are on the outboard side of my starboard engine, barely enough room for one person let alone two. It would be great to come up with a process to safely cut those beasts in two.

Just think of it as the testing of your method to put them back in.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Cutting up a battery not only sounds dangerous, it sounds quite messy. I sure wouldn't want to be crawling in behind the engines trying to drain one of those 8Ds, much less cut it up. I'd be concerned that you would have acid all over the boat and yourself. The cleanest way to get it out is in one piece.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You guys are probably right, maybe I'll get a strong buddy and bet him $50 he can't get them out..

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post
    I had an 8D explode in my face, like a stick of dynamite going off, I was acid burned, luckily I wore safety glasses though they were in pieces, I still have a scar on my nose from it. If I had to move an 8D from below decks first thing to do is to wrap it up so as to not spill any acid, then get a small dolly that you can pull up stairs or just roll it around. Most important is to prevent it from leaking and shorting the terminals, its hard to drain one unless you can invert it over a tub. I would never try to cut one apart, too dangerous in many ways. One could put it in one of those tubs you buy at Walmart and seal it with duck tape and find some eager young helpers.

I had one explode when trying to crank a few years ago, luckily (?) it was the center and not the outboard one - it was quite a mess to clean up. I just changed both 8d's this weekend as one dropped voltage to zero on me 15 miles off shore - i figured the second was not far behind. I think it takes 3 strong people (two to lift - one to watch and make suggestions or call 911). It escapes me why a place better than outboard was not found for these at the factory...i'd gladly give up space in a variety of places or switched places with something I need a mechanic to fix anyway...everytime we have to change the batteries out we rack our brains trying to figure out some better way and none but painful, awkward positions have worked to date.

Aw you guys are a bunch of rag baggers!! LOL. I drove 1200 miles, carried EIGHT 8V195s up a 6 foot step ladder, up and into the cockpit, up a ladder to the main deck, over to the salon stairs, down to the salon deck and lifted eight out and over to the ladder and down, plus one 8d and THEN went to breakfast. Installation took a bit more since the cables needed attention.
    On the outboard location, think like an Egyptian. Levers and bars. Can you get them onto a plank to drag them out once they are out of the boxes? Even a good C clamp on the deck stringers and an el cheapo cable wound come-a-long will make the vertical lift for you. If youre 200 lbs, bounce on the floor and see how much it moves; very little I bet! Get the wood under it and move those pyramid stones! I know youre tight on that 48 but they went in right? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    I will change out my 8D's next year and replace with multiple smaller batteries . What would be wrong with this idea: Draw the existing batteries completely down, remove the acid, put a cutting tip on my soldering iron and cut (melt) the batteries for easy removal?
    Et tu Brute...get two brutes, two twenties, be nice. Then while you are waving g'bye to the 160#'rs, install the Optimas! There are ways on this site to hook them up and 3 of the correct Group (24 or 27- can never remember, are a perfect fit).

My brother in law is a blacksmith and has arms to prove it. So until I spring for the Optima's he and I sling the 8D's. One good rope on each end attached to the lifting straps/ropes. As long as I can swing two bags of 40# salt bags, I figure I can double arm one rope at 80#'s.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    At a tad over 60, I don't heal so fast anymore. I changed out my 8D's with 3 OPTIMA's on each side. Three Optima's equal one 8D. It works great and the Optima's are the size and weight of a typical car battery. Much easier to handle. Somewhat more expensive though, but then so is the cost of medical treatment.
    I would very curious as to how long the Optima's hold up. The USCG supposedly has some on a rescue boat (47'?) for seven years and still going strong in our area.

Also, my home security system 12v battery is a gel type since 1988 (20 years) and still holding the correct nominal charge (14.5v)!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Some people may be too stubborn to listen to others, I have been a diesel mechanic for over 35 years, I too can lift an 8D up into a bucket loader but I'm 51 now so I use a pallet and a forklift.

DO NOT CUT IT UP

Even drained you will create a short and batteries create hydrogen gasses and they can go boom. Do not pour baking soda into one either, you will get Mnt. Vesuvius. Lead-acid batteries are a bitch, I have heard horror stories from the old sub crews that were on the diesel boats when they had to do a changeout.