Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Funny Story About Replacing Boat Batteries

It's time for an update as we beat our chests. In addition to the three herniated discs in my back, the MRI also shows a stress fracture (actually called an insufficiency fracture) in my hip as a result of moving these batteries. I wish I could say it was an old rugby injury (I've had those as well) but at 52, I guess moving the batteries was ill-advised. I have now lost the first month of our short season up here being on crutches (but I guess I saved the fuel). Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    I would very curious as to how long the Optima's hold up. The USCG supposedly has some on a rescue boat (47'?) for seven years and still going strong in our area.

Also, my home security system 12v battery is a gel type since 1988 (20 years) and still holding the correct nominal charge (14.5v)!

I've had Optimas in my skiff for as long as I can remember, replaced one last year that had 10 years on it, great battery. However, paying for one battery every ten years or so doesn't sting too bad, six at once? That's over a $1K at my store. Ouch....

My Rolls batteries are supposed to be here next week, $2702.41 delivered. As much as that hurts, I hope it hurts more than installing them. I don't need to be on crutches. Totalling both sets coming out and going back in, I have 1864lbs of batteries to move. Any volunteers?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

On the outboard location, think like an Egyptian. Levers and bars. Can you get them onto a plank to drag them out once they are out of the boxes? Even a good C clamp on the deck stringers and an el cheapo cable wound come-a-long will make the vertical lift for you. If youre 200 lbs, bounce on the floor and see how much it moves; very little I bet! Get the wood under it and move those pyramid stones! I know youre tight on that 48 but they went in right? ws[/QUOTE]

Besides a higher acceptable fatality rate, The Egyptians had much more room to work with than on the outboard side of the 38's engine room...in the 48, maybe, but there's not going to be much leverage being supplied in the 38. There's basically enough headroom to get the battery out of the box with a little room for your hand. There's no problem moving them once they're out of the box, the tough part for us in into and out of box, under ER light, and around strangely located dahl filter. But if the little batts will last 10 yrs, i think the friends helping would gladly chip in for the extra battery money to avoid a repeat.