Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

'79 53C vs. '87 55C

What is the biggest difference between a mid 80's 55 conv. and a late 70's 53 conv. besides the engines? and can you please give the good, bad, and ugly.. on the two models... thanks in advance.

Re: '79 53C vs. '87 55C

Never been on the 55, but it is said to be a much bigger boat. It has the newer hull design (like the 52), and should be drier. The engine room is stand up height like the 60, and is accessed through the cockpit.
    There are none for sale in CAL where I have been shopping, they seem to have been much more popular in the E. Like the 52, I think it is fair to say that it was an improvement on the 53...even though the lines of the 53 are nicer IMHO.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Both are great boats but the 55c have some improvements depending on your prospective. 55C wider beam, cockpit engine room access. I think the cockpit isn't as deep as the 53c but it is wider. The extra beam does help the interior feel bigger on the 55c and again I think the shorter cockpit and extra 2 feet go into the salon. The standup engine room is because they removed the center line fuel tanks that the 53c has. In the 53c you are standing on the fuel tank between the engines and in the 55c you are standing in the bilge. Not sure there is really any difference in height but that is nice to be able to stand up between the engines. You do have less fuel capacity in the 55c. Biggest hull difference is probably underwater. Depending on the year the 53c has a deep full keep and the 55c doesn't. This helps the 55c to be faster with the trade off you'd expect in any boat without a full keel. The fly bridge on the 55c is a big improvement over the 53c. It's much bigger. Many 53c's have been update to give some of the 55c improvement the Hatteras added. Both are great boats though. Fun choice.

thanks for the inputs so far.. as I'm looking to regularly fish the boat fuel capacity is important and so is speed, lookin for a solid 20 kt cruise. not sure if that is possible on the 53.

If memory serves me right there was a 55 HP back in the 80's. That was the High performance model. Good and bad from that. I think pascoe did a survey and article on one.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

According to the powerboat guide:
    53' C
    Beam 16'
    Draft 4'
    Weight 61,000 lb
    Clearance 15'2"
    Water 250 Gallons
    Fuel 950/1100 Gallons
    Cockpit 147 sq ft.

The 53' was the standard for over-50' production sportfishing yachts. Several three-stateroom, galley-up layouts used in the 53' including the popular U-shaped galley to port with separate under-counter refrigeration. An alternate two-stateroom floorplan has the galley located forward of the dinette in the companionway. Significant updated include increased fuel and prop pockets in 1976 and a restyled flybridge in 1977. A heavy and comfortable boat offshore (but with a sometimes-wet ride), the GM 12V71Ns cruise the Hatteras 53 at 17-18 knots with a top speed of 20 knots. The 12V71TIs and 8V92TIs provide cruising speeds around 20 knots and a top speed of 23.

55C
    Length 55'8"
    Beam 17'6"
    Draft 4'10"
    Weight 70,000 lbs.
    Clearance 16'8"
    Fresh Water 380 Gallons
    Fuel 1,285 Gallons
    Cockpit 158 Sq Ft.

Introduced in 1980. Broad, double-chined hull is cored from waterline up and features extensive internal supports. In 1987, the front windshield was glassed-over, and the cabin windows and flybridge were restyled in keeping with the current new look of the Hatteras convertibles. Two accommodation plans were offered with the three-stateroom, galley/dinette up layout being the more popular. The cockpit is fitted with a standard tackle center and transom door with gate, and features direct access to the 55's spacious stand-up engine room. (Air intakes for the engine room are located below the cockpit coaming.) The flybridge is huge. GM 12V71TIs were standard from the beginning with high-performance versions available since 1982. Performance with the 650 hp 12V71TI diesels is 19-20 knots at cruise and 23 knots wide open. Later models with the 870 hp versions cruise at 23+ knots and reach a top speed of 26 knots.

I hope this helps.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

FWIW, as you probably know, you can read through the brochures on the first page of SAMs website. Click on "brochures archive". The 55C series 1 has a review from it's day there as well.
    I looked at YW again, and it looks like the 55 was offered with 1292s later on, but those speeds with 71s would be just fine I would think....and cheaper.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

I have a 1981 55 convertible with full tower although I do not use the boat for fishing. 3 stateroom layout, dinette etc. DD 1271 TI, 650 HP. Great boat! Heavy and seaworthy. At 1800 I cruise at around 17knts (with around 1/fuel). I looked at a number of these and unless you have the 870 HP I do not see you as achieving 20 knots. This is a big heavy boat.

My friend had a 53 convertible with 1271's. Not sure of the HP but no way did it reach 20 knts. Lucky to get 16 knts.

Another friend has a 53 with enclosed flybridge. He rebuilt the 12 71's with I believe 120 injectors. At 1900 he now crusies at 19knts. He has no tower tough and his is a 2 stateroom layout.

Reverie
    55 Hatteras Convertible

allot of good info. thanks for the reply fellows.. I'm not looking for a speed demon with any stretch of imagination.. 17k cruse for a 60k lb yacht is ok in my book.. how does she drift? I'm talkin 50 to 55 Hatt.