Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1985 53' Motoryacht in NJ

My friend Mo Shaw (MO999 on this forum) passed away in October 2007. We spent a few good years cruising our Hatteras together. Since his passing, his family has listed his boat for sale.

If you are looking for a pristine, shed kept (winter) 53' that was maintained with an open check book, you should definitely take a look at this one. One feature that he added in the past couple of years because of hip and knee problems was a "Ride Up" ladder (I think from Pompanette) that you stand at the base of the ladder up to the flybridge, push the button and it elevates you to the bridge. There are regular treds for the non-impaired.

This is a great feature for someone that is getting on in years or has leg problems that still wants to have a 53 Motoryacht with the ability to pilot from the flybridge.

The boat is located in Central NJ and is listed with Luke Brown for around $329K. This boat was his baby and he loved her dearly. I'm sure he would want it to go to a good home.

I'm not a broker, but I just wanted to let anyone in the buying market that they can buy a true turnkey boat that has had everything taken care of by a loving owner and it's sitting warm inside a shed waiting for the coming season.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Re: 1985 53' Motoryacht in NJ

I couldn't find this boat on YW, but I saw the listing on Luke Brown's site. It has some good detailed description, but not too many pictures. Maybe it's just a new listing, but right now it doesn't seem to be represented too well. Do you have a link to post for someone who might actually be interested? I'm just one of those "lookers" (just ask my wife ).
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sorry, "Mavourneen" is a 1986 53' Hatteras Motoryacht. The search on Yachtworld for the listing is:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...id=100&rid=101

It came up as the first one. The listing is pretty detailed. I believe he had just replaced the white bimini with navy blue to match the boot stripes. He also has about 15 coats of varnish on the exterior wood and then has custom canvas covers for the teak bow rails.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

The boat is very nice and well equipped, but no bargain at anywhere that price. I have a hard time believing that those "92" series engines are not about ready for an overhaul. 3000 hours is high even for the trusty "71" series engines. The "92"s don't have a reputation of being long livers.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    The boat is very nice and well equipped, but no bargain at anywhere that price. I have a hard time believing that those "92" series engines are not about ready for an overhaul. 3000 hours is high even for the trusty "71" series engines. The "92"s don't have a reputation of being long livers.
    Maynard,
    Those 92's may be good for another 2 or 3000hrs, or they may not. It all depends on how they've been mantained and how hard they were run. At 465hp, those motors are not like those 550hp units that you have probably heard so much about. I've got over 3500hrs on the exact same engines.

The 71's at a reasonable hp rating should last even longer. We'd had several over 20,000hrs in trucks. Once again, we're talking about engines that have not been pushed too far past their design limits for hp.
    Sky Cheney

Thanks Sky, I know the sportfish guys figure 2000 hrs. is max TBO for those 92 series engines. Like most stuff, care and maintenence revise those numbers alot. Without a good way to know the real history of these, I guess an interested party would be wise to consider the possibility of a double engine overhaul cost when evaluating this boat. If the rest of the boat is in Bristol condition, the price is still very attractive.I am assuming that an overhaul would run 50k. Is that about right?
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

You're probably close on the overhaul price. Chris in Michigan City had a set of 6v92's overhaul a couple of years ago from what I remember. Maybe he could give us an actual cost.
    Sky Cheney

Maynard,
    My 892's were done in 04, Port was 28k and the starboard was 26k. These prices do NOT include turbos. Also like Sky said you can get a lot of hours out of them if there treated right. Mine are not the tweaked 750 hp 92's and I don't run them on the pins. I only have about <300hrs on them now and if treated right I would hope that they last another 5000 or 6000hrs.

Chris
    Superior Nights 53c