Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Increase total image limit?

I realize this may be a hot topic, but I wondered at the ramifications of increasing the size of a member's total image limit. Disk space is pretty cheap.

If there are other issues which I am not aware of, could I alternatively suggest that certain very senior members be permitted to exceed the current limitation due to the high value of their posts? (Such as Yachtsmanbill, who routinely clears old images to meet the current criteria).

Re: Increase total image limit?

Some time ago I requested the image size limit be upped to 1.35meg or larger, to better reflect the resolution of the typical modern camera. We are posting technical images after all.
    I'm still waiting.......
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

There are many free photo hosting sites. I use tinypic.com. They will resize the picture and give you the message board text string to include it in a post. Why burdon Sam's with it? Not sure how long tinypic will save the photo, but I haven't noticed any disappearing.

Mark

Sure, you can use a hosting site (I use photobucket) but that doesn't work for the gallery.
    Since most of us probaly own modern cameras, why not enable the posting of modern size files so we can see each other's boats in high resolution? Obviously there has to be a total file limit for each user, but why not let each user decide how many images to "spend" the disc space on?

I have doubled the maximum image size that can be uploaded to the gallery to 2MB (2,048KB). I've also increased the total amount of space per member from 20MB to 30MB.

You can also google "free image resizer" and find a number of image resize software tools that can be downloaded for free. Most of these not only resize the image but also compress and optimize the image which results in a much smaller file size with practically the same image quality for viewing on the web.

Hope this helps.
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

Thanx Doug.

Many thanks, Doug. Someday, when we are all actually organized, there should be a quick howto for reducing image size.

Thanks again for your and SAMs creation and support of this site; it absolutely wouldn't be possible without you!

DAN

Pictures are easy to resize

increasing the total storage allowance is a good idea but i dont' see the point posting huge pictures... high res images are good for printing, useless to view on screen which what happens with stuff posted here... how many of us print large prints of some of these images?

when resizing and then saving an image, set the compression to 60 to 70%. The file will shrink drastically to as much as 20% or origiinal size and you will not notice any quality loss.

my favorite image software is www.irfanview.com it's free, small and easy to use and has a number of nice features including batch sizing/compressing/renaming.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I used to think there should be a higher limit but now it doesn't really matter; I put them on photobucket and link to there. That way they can be fairly high res with no impact at all.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"