Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel Tanks

Re: Fuel Tanks

I'd replace the tanks and use the middle for a fish box, tons of room and a clean deck! Slane may have something, I gave him my old 150's.

You don't think I'll have a issue with stale fuel? My normal runs are 20-30 miles,to the fishing grounds , with 60 being a long one, but I did/do make 150 mile runs to Li and the RI, Ct area(all of this is one way ) . Plus I hope to do a bit of canyon stuff which may be 100 plus, one way.

Stale fuel is usually fuel that just sits. If you constantly use the boat not only do you replace the fuel used with new but circulate it and filter out some of the bad stuff. I have some friends with stick powered vessels that have 80 gal tanks that last forever as they use 15-20 gals a season running a half hour 2-3 times a month or more and add a 5 gal can plus diesel kleen or another additive ( AJX cost too much for them ) and keep the tank full and the fuel looks great when the sample is pulled from the filter. Top it off and keep it circulating and you will be fine.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Images

For aluminum tanks I highly recommend SPTanks.com. I bought a pair of 100 gallon aluminum tanks for my 30' Sea Ray (old school 1977 Weekender Hardtop - solid glass with 23 degrees of deadrise at the transom - I wouldn't be caught dead in a new one). They were custom built to my drawings, for about 1000 dollars each. Superb customer service.

Sigh. One day I'll be able to afford a Hatt ...

I'll give them a try. So about $10 a gallon?

Images

Quote "about $10/gallon"

Probably a reasonable ballpark. However some of the initial cost is the labor more than the aluminum.

As a comparison, the original manufacturer of my old tanks, Florida Tanks, quoted me $1500/each and were not particularly enthusiastic or helpful on the phone. That was before any customizations I might have wanted added.

Be aware for tanks bigger than about 150 gallons you may have to go up to thicker aluminum than their base thickness (0.125 inch thick) to ensure appropriate wall strength. They can advise you.

The beauty of SPTanks.com is that they will do anything you need. For example, for a nominal extra charge they put two fuel pickups on each of my tanks instead of one, so I could have full flow to either engine from either tank and run both engines on one if needed.

I handled the entire transaction online with responses same day to all my questions and requests. Just email them. I sent them my drawings and they handled it from there.

I can share with you a sample drawing of my tanks if you want to see the detail level needed. You don't have to be a naval architect. Email me at seibert@fuse.net if you want.

They also were helpful on an unrelated purchase of tank mounting supplies by phone.

Joe

Thanks Joe
    Tim