Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tanks

Fuel Tanks

so my express (41c doaner boat) has finally started , again. Boats in it's new heated home. thinking about more fuel (400-500gal). first thought is custom tanks, then Mr frugal kicks in. Thinking maybe later 41/42 tanks or something out of 45/46. takeouts. Room doesnt seem to be a problem. Are they around and what do they run??
    tim

Re: Fuel Tanks

Hey Thudddd after reading this I was HUH!!! You got to be kidding most of the 45/46 haven't had tanks taking out!!! BUT then I thought about it and relized did you try Tom Slane??? That would be your best bet. Other wise do like everyone else and add a third. One question how much does that thing burn sitting in a barn or do you want the capacity for the heater??
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    One question how much does that thing burn sitting in a barn or do you want the capacity for the heater??
    Didn't know you change your name to Richard

You should come up , so you have some input into the layout, that your going to have to work on

On my 41C, I had the deck out, removed the 150's each side and had aluminum replacements made as big as possible, turned out about 300 per side. I kept the center open and dropped in a "coffin" box with a cold plate. Now she has extra fuel and fish storage. In my opinion, well worth the cost.

Pictures? cost? what are you running for power? how did it affect ride? and about a zillion other questions

Sorry, no photos. It's been several years and I never kept track of cost, but I think I paid about 1200 per tank.

I used 3126 Cats, 420hp mechanicals. I thought the extra fuel would have a negative effect on ride and I installed larger tabs in case. It runs great and I seldom use the tabs. She cruises at 25-26kts or so at 32gph.

I used a foam core deck and extruded fiberglass box tubing for stringers/ deck support. I built the salon with the same combination, cut down weight a bit.

The range is impressive. I mounted a Westerbeke aft in engine room on a raised platform for easy service and built the aft bulkhead from Penske Board with teak overlay.

Boat's in Canaveral now.

Well Roger you probably don't know this but Timmy won't have a weight Issue since he no longer has a Salon or bridge He cut it off and is making a express.

So Thuddd I will come up and help you get on track but you have to come to the HOF rendezvous in July I even have a couch for you but you bring the Vodka this time!!!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Then he can make the entire aft deck fuel, raise the salon deck and install 735hp 892's real cheap. He will just need goggles and a scarf.

Dan, long as you got room on the couch for me and the slab, I'm there, with a couple of big bottles of Goose.

Dan has some pic's and once I clean the mess from sitting for a year outside(work/finance issues) I'll put up the starting pic's
    Power is from a pair of low hour 6v53's with twin turbo's. The motors have had everything but the insides gone thru, cause all the visual and pressure tests were great. Twin disk gears 1.5:1. new starters, injectors,rebuilt alt's bla bla bla.(they were picked cause of cost) Slane figures the thing to cuise at the 25knt range.
    all the constuction will be cosa board, fiberglass poltrusions, nidacore bulkheads(of the tricell) . I'm guessing it will be about 5-6,000 lbs lighter, and have much better darg coeffecents. So the xtra weight of 100-200 gal of fuel should be offset.
    Something I was wondring, am I better off using a 3rd tank, and keeping it empty, xcept for long trips, to better turn the fuel?

BTW the former salon deck is coming up about 26-30 inches, so theres going to be a ton of engine bay headroom
    Last edited by hunshatt; 02-14-2008 at 08:16 AM.