Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question on forum etiquette

I wanted to ask the moderators or admins of the forum an etiquette question.

I work part time for Walker Engineering, the company that manufactures the Walker Airsep Products. Since most Hats are built with engines that have Airseps on board when they leave the factory, I thought it would be of some value to put out information to the technical discussion groups regarding new products, replacement part availability, etc.

My question is: is it proper to create such a discussion?

Tim

Re: Question on forum etiquette

I'm not a mod but I still carry a little weight around here.

Feel free to post anything that may be of general interest to Hatteras owners. Try to be informative, objective and not too promotional and you will be OK.

Be prepared for technical push back because there is a vocal contingent here that strongly favors the Racor CCV system over the Walker Air-Seps.
    Last edited by Passages; 08-15-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd be happy to discuss and debate objectively, the plus's and minus's of both systems.

The personal perspective I can offer is:

1) as a consumer conducting an evaluation of each system for my own use and, the professional perspective:

2) having served as the Engine Parts category manager for West Marine for 2 years which required having to evaluate both products and ultimately develop and present a business case for bringing the Airsep product into the chain.

My intent on offering to post information regarding the topic is simply to offer announcements of new product developments, availability/location of spare/replacement parts and generally providing any technical help that might prove useful to the forum members.

Thanks again for the reply and advice.

Tim

Tim

thanks for asking first!!!

Personally, I am not too crazy on allowing product announcements and things like that because even though they may be of value to members we may end up with a flood of "advertising" coming from a number of vendors with products and services of interest.

mentioning a product in response to a question is fine obviously.

if you have any FAQ type info on install, maintenance, selection, etc... that woudl be welcome for the FAQ section.

Ultimately, this is Doug's call.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Tim,

Thanks again for asking first. The fact that you asked says that you already understand. As the guys said, it is OK to post information that will be informative to the group. Please try not to make it an advertising session as that sets a precedent for others that can get out of hand quickly.

Thanks for sharing any information which you think might be helpful.
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

Doug,

Thanks for your kind reply. I'll consider what I have to share very carefully.

Regards,

Tim

As a resident doubter, curmudgeon, and neo-Luddite, I'd like to offer an opinion that may not be what you want to hear but it's one that will exist.

You said, "I work part time for Walker Engineering, the company that manufactures the Walker Airsep Products."

Then you said, "I'd be happy to discuss and debate objectively, the plus's and minus's of both systems [airsep and racor CCV]."

If you work for Walker, it would be suicidal job-wise for you to be on a public forum and NOT support their product over a competitor. For that reason, it would be difficult to accept that your view would be objective.

If you were trying to decide between a Ford or a Chevy, would you accept the Ford salesman's explanation of the differences and make a decision based on that? Would you not assume that EVERYTHING he said was based on persuading you to buy the Ford?

I'm concerned it will just turn into another "advertising" thread like several others that have come and gone with the post-ers never being heard from again. But perhaps I'm wrong in this case...

I've certainly been wrong many times!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    As a resident doubter, curmudgeon, and neo-Luddite,

I've certainly been wrong many times!
    C'omon, Mike. You're being WAY too hard on yourself! Wrong some times, maybe, but not "many times".

Capt K