Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Which categories should we have?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batteries

7 43.75%
  • The Head

7 43.75%
  • Fuel Tanks

8 50.00%
  • Repowering

9 56.25%
  • Detroits

6 37.50%
  • Buying a Hatteras

8 50.00%
  • None - I don't like the idea

4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time to get more organized?

There has been much posted about forum categories, specifically at

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4066

Recently, I and others have suggested that we move some threads into categories so newer members can find answers to common questions without having to search so much. Some members don't even bother to search and just post their question which frustrates some of the regular members.

I am creating this poll to see 1) how everyone feels about creating a few categories, and 2) to determine what categories to create.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Re: Time to get more organized?

i dont know... we dont' get a lot of repeat questions.

I and most other regular dont' seem frustrated, I know there are some topics where i've repeated the same thing quite a few times, like batteries. i dont' feel any frustration about it...

the problem with too many categories, unless it's high volume forum, is that you're going to have stuff drifting into the wrong category... ex... let say we create an electrical and an engine forums. Someone starts by asking general questions about a boat his considering, does he have to split the post in three, one in General for the hull, one in electrical for batteries and invertes and one in engines for a question about injectors ? what if he doens't... the next guy looking for info on batteries will miss some potentially good stuff if he goes straight to electrical and not look at the general thread...

too many categories create more issues than it solves in my opinion.

look how this thread was started in Hatteras Tech Talk instead of the feedback forum !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't have to be that hard.

A thread that goes over many, many topics can just stay in Tech Talk like it is now. It makes no sense to try to categorize those kinds of threads. (i.e. the infamous "I can't take the strain"). These are usually very long.

I thought that shorter, more to the point threads that don't go off topic are the ones to organize. There are many like this.

I see no need to categorize all threads, I am just suggesting to move a few threads into more a more obvious place.

I wish this post wasn't moved. I don't think many people visit the Feedback forum which is why I posted this to Tech Talk. We'll see how many people respond.

I think it works fine like it is. Sometimes you have to be creative when you use the search function because it won't look up short words, but if you try it a couple of different ways, you usually get what you need.

I visit another non-boat forum occassionly and I get more frustrated at how many different categories that they have. I never know which one to use to post a question. This site is simple and you only have to decide if the topic is technical or non-technical.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

i left a 48 hours redirect so it will remain visible in the tech forum...

what we need to do, is copy some good thread into the FAQ section... that i agree with...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

FAQ has not had a new thread in 1.5 years.

There have been some good discussions during that time. Would the mods accept nominations for FAQ threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    i left a 48 hours redirect so it will remain visible in the tech forum...

what we need to do, is copy some good thread into the FAQ section... that i agree with...
    That is exactly what I am talking about. I was thinking these new forum categories would be read only just like the FAQ section, for moderators and admins to move good threads in to after being suggested by members. However, each needs to be its own forum area so multiple threads can be under the same topic, like "Batteries". For instance, if you move 3 battery threads and a bunch of Fuel Tank and Repower threads into the single FAQ forum, it starts to become a jumbled list and won't look much different than the Tech Discussion, only a little shorter!

To Sky's point, I agree, too many choices for posting makes it hard to pick. I am thinking this idea is only for filing good threads after they are "done" (are they ever?), NOT for initial posting.

passages, absolutely !! email or PM me the link and i'll move/ copy the thread(s) to the FAQ. that's why i had suggested the FAQin first place when doug setup the new forums but like everything... things fall thru the cracks...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I guess I'm probably guilty of asking newbie questions before I even do a reasonable search. I enjoy the banter though. As forums go I think it's nice to have 'one stop' to drop in on once or twice a day so IMHO breaking into categories ain't necessarily the way to go.

A stronger FAQ section might be the ticket!
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY

Kimidee's for sale! http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I think it works fine like it is. Sometimes you have to be creative when you use the search function because it won't look up short words, but if you try it a couple of different ways, you usually get what you need.

I visit another non-boat forum occassionly and I get more frustrated at how many different categories that they have. I never know which one to use to post a question. This site is simple and you only have to decide if the topic is technical or non-technical.

agreed!
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl