Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Miami '83 50C - Anyone one know it?

I'm in Miami next week and thinking of checking out this boat. Anyone know anything about it?

Seems to be priced low and usually there's a reason for that.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=71851&url=
    Last edited by Passages; 02-06-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Re: Miami '83 50C - Anyone one know it?

It's OK but I think you need a bigger boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    It's OK but I think you need a bigger boat.
    Where have I heard that before?

I met the listing broker, William Koeppel, at the 2005 Hatteras Rendezvous in Newport, RI. At the time, he had a 65' Sportfish that was done to the 9's. This was his second 65' as the first one sank in Long Island Sound. The autopilot was not able to be disengaged and he ran into a shoal and down went the boat. The newer one has a beautiful open bridge with hydraulic forward windshields. At the time, he had the most updated electronics package I had seen. Bill was very close to the former president of Hatteras and was very close to naming his first child Hatteras. There is an article on him from one of the boating magazines from a few years ago about child proofing his Hatteras. I think he had a 45' at the time. He was the chief fundraiser for Rudy Giuliani for his mayoral election in New York City. Very interesting guy and very upfront with what a boat needs to become a 10. Very nice guy. I'm sure he knows of any of the issues with this boat as he seemed to be very detail oriented.

Larry K.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Larry,

Is he the guy in this thread? If so, it just goes to show how small the Hatt world really is.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...hlight=Koeppel

What happened to the Hatteras railings? Notice that they list the gen set hours, but not the mains. Most DD mechanics say that 92 series engines are pretty well done at 2000 hours. They also say that most 71 series engines will outlast the boat's owner. I will bet those mains are high time.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    What happened to the Hatteras railings? Notice that they list the gen set hours, but not the mains. Most DD mechanics say that 92 series engines are pretty well done at 2000 hours. They also say that most 71 series engines will outlast the boat's owner. I will bet those mains are high time.
    Maynard,
    It all depends on how you run they and how much HP they try to push out of them. My 6v92TA's have over 3500hrs and still going strong. Don't believe everything you hear.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Unhappy Re: Miami '83 50C - Anyone one know it?

As they say road hard and put up wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    Yeah, re: the 92's, I ran into a fellow on Mackinaw Island who had just had his 8V92's redone, after only about a 1,000 hours. Kinda shocking and he said it wasn't cheap...about $25k at the time.

So what do they say, caveat emptor...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Hmmm, and these 92,s are rated at 750 hp with no claim to hours.

I called the broker, he also mentioned it needs a paint job, bow rail and new electronics.

Lets see paint at $50k, Railing at $5k, electronics at $10k, and 2 8-92 rebulids at $25k each.

I'm already at $115k assuming survey finds nothing else. I'm not getting a good feeling about this.