Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Swim Platform Ideas?

Every year, it seems that I am having the paint touch up guy do work on the swim platform on my 56 MY. It seems that next to the socks that get eaten by the dryer, the sources of scuffs on the swim platform are the next most mysterious riddle in the universe. It is a glass platform by the way, not a teak one. Is there a good source for some sort of pre-made stainless rub rail, strake or some other protection to afix to the platform outer and back edges? I have seen ones with black rubber rub rails all around and I do not like that look. Any suggestions or tips would be most appreciated.

Re: Swim Platform Ideas?

A PO added the same rub rail material that is on the boat to my swim platform. I never knew that it wasn't OEM until Don Cameron pointed it out last summer when we had both 53ED's sitting right next to each other. I would definately recommend just adding that stainless edge to the platform. It works great for us. If you want some pics, I'll get some for you but not for about 3 weeks.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

On my Teak platform I used the Gunnel protector for a tender that I got from Hamilton Marine. It is a half round high density foam rubber that is covered with a synthetic canvas material. It can be secured with screws or bolts. So far it is standing up really well and was easy to install. I don't know if Hamilton still carries it but I believe Jamestown Distributors does.
    Fred

Keep em coming. Sky--how did the stainless make it around the corners?

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post

If you use solid stock instead of crescent shapped, it will bend just fine. Be sure to take care bending in the vicinity of screw holes. I tap around the corners with a wood or rubber mallet if a peice doesn't bend right due to a screw hole.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    It curves right around the corners just like it is bent along the hullsides, no problem. The curve is not that tight. It looks identical to the SS edge at the hull to deck joint and on the back spray rails. It's even held on by those square drive screws. Like I said, I thought it was original until I was told otherwise.
    Sky Cheney

Sky-thanks for the update. I can now go ahead and see if Freeport Marine carries the pre drilled stainless that I need. I bet they do. I just need to figure whether it is half inch, and inch etc.

JLR, I have the same problem with my platform. I bought and installed a white rubber 'dock-edge' from WM around the gunale of my Whaler because the factory protective edge was black and it scuffed everything in sight - black! It has worked so well I plan to do the same thing around my swim platform. I used ss screws every foot or so and it worked great. Plus it was inexpensive, about $40 to due the 13' Whaler.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Nice to know I am not alone. The stainless route will be expensive compared to annual touch ups but at least it will be permanent.

I found a couple of pictures. These were taken right after we bought the boat, before the name change. They are not close up shots like you probably want to see, but you get the idea. If you need more pictures, just let me know.

Sky Cheney