Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sanding Awlgrip

Sanding Awlgrip

I have a few runs/sags in my Awlgrip paint job, and my question is, what is the best grit paper to wet sand with between coats? should i use a coarse paper to remove the sags and then a finer grit before putting another coat on?

Thanks Lenz

Re: Sanding Awlgrip

I see no one is jumping on this.

All of these procedures are explained in the Application Guide on the Awlgrip web site. If you have any trouble finding it, let me know.

Ted

Is it straight Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000?

400 wet between coats. can use 280 on bad sag but 400 should be good enough. now here is a trick. to just sand a sag. use a cut off piece of a paint stiring stick as a sanding block. it is flat and small enough to controll,

A body shop trick that I was shown to get rid of a run is to use a single edge razor blade. Wrap both ends of the blade with masking tape and use the center of the blade like a Japanese Cabinet scraper, keeping the blade at 90 degrees to the surface. It will scrape the top off of the run while the tape protects the area on either side of it. When you get the surface close you can wet sand the area with fine paper and a sanding block. Sounds more complicated than it really is and saves a lot of sanding.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by NAN-PO 41 View Post
    A body shop trick that I was shown to get rid of a run is to use a single edge razor blade. Wrap both ends of the blade with masking tape and use the center of the blade like a Japanese Cabinet scraper, keeping the blade at 90 degrees to the surface. It will scrape the top off of the run while the tape protects the area on either side of it. When you get the surface close you can wet sand the area with fine paper and a sanding block. Sounds more complicated than it really is and saves a lot of sanding.
    Fred
    Great idea, and you can probably do the same with a sharp 1" chisel and have a better handle for the tool.

Bob

You really don't need much of a handle and the beauty of the razor blade is that you can wrap the masking tape completely around it. Try it out. It really isn't tough on the fingers and works quickly.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    Is it straight Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000?

I'm using Awlgrip, I will be spraying my tackle boxes in a week or two with the Awlcraft 2000.

Thanks

I realize that you had some runs which you want to remove but Imron/Awlgrip are NOT designed to be sanded between coats. This is a lacquer techinque and compromises the ability of Imron/Awlgrip to do what they do best.

One of the great benefits of Imron, and later, Awlgrip (in addition to their resistance to nearly anything from chemicals to UV) was that they eliminated the need for the between-coat sanding to get that "mile-deep" gloss that multiple coats of lacquer delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I realize that you had some runs which you want to remove but Imron/Awlgrip are NOT designed to be sanded between coats. This is a lacquer techinque and compromises the ability of Imron/Awlgrip to do what they do best.

One of the great benefits of Imron, and later, Awlgrip (in addition to their resistance to nearly anything from chemicals to UV) was that they eliminated the need for the between-coat sanding to get that "mile-deep" gloss that multiple coats of lacquer delivered.
    Yeah that's what I've heard, but the painter that's doing my boat really doesn't have the choice seeing he keeps get sags in the paint. So I just wanted to get some opinions from ya'll out there on what worked best for you. I going to try to paint the tackle boxes myself at my shop with a spray gun. Hopefully I get better results!!

Thanks Lenz