Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    Images

Appropriate member registrations

Last edited by Mark Giovanniello; 11-21-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Re: Appropriate member registrations

yeah, although we probably dont' need a "petition".... it's not like this is some kind of formal demand that the admin doens't want to listen to...

Doug, we need an Ban link or button on the members list... right now, having to go to the admin panel and type in each user is too time consuming. The infraction link doesn't really help since we need a permanent ban....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I totally agree on both counts. I have initiated several measures to slow down the bogus registrations including just last week adding an automatic ban on known spammers email addresses such as:

@163.com
    @99c.in
    @about-britney-spears.info
    @advertfast.com
    @ajiex.info
    @alex-vodopyanoff.info
    @allwebdrugs.info
    @arcor.de
    @auto-rus.com
    @awab.com
    @best-finance.biz
    @best-ringtones-online.info
    @bestboyfilms.org
    @bestfreemall.info
    @bk.ru
    @cashette.com

This is, of course, just a partial list and this only serves to slow the bogus registrations and automated spam bots down a little.

Removing bogus registrations so they do not clutter up the member list is time consuming. I tried to do that in the past but could not keep up. Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is no easy way to select multiple accounts to delete in the admin panel which means each one has to be removed individually - very time consuming.

The ability for moderators or myself to ban (or delete) bogus member accounts directly from the forum member list is a great idea but I'm not sure it can be done. I will check though.

I will see if I can get with one of the girls here in the office and give them a project of cleaning up the member list to delete the obvious trash that exists currently.

Thanks
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

about just an admin link, like the infraction link ? I know these prepackaged forum software can be a pain to customize but it's a simple query passing the user name...
    what i did today is open two tabs in the browser, one with the member list and the one with the admin CP. copy a user name in one, switch, click on ban, paste, tab tab P P (for permanent) tab tab enter :-) yeah.. i'm a keyboard kindaof guy when i'm in a rush...

but it is time consuming ...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I am guessing we already are using captcha, and it's been hacked.

Would you consider adding NoSpam to vBulletin?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124828

DAN

Nice find!

I will read up on it some more and I might install the hack. We are using Captcha already.

Thanks!
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com