Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Considering a 44' Triple Cabin Motoryacht

Bryant,

Welcome to the Forum of one of the greatest boats ever built.

Though I have not read all the volumes of info printed above I think no one mentioned that the host of this Forum has the 44' vessel in question on file and can bring up every single original item that was installed on that particular boat.

This is critical should you invest in a Hatteras. Access to replacement parts is very important. And Sam's is fairly reasonably priced too.

Sometime around 1998 when I owned a Carver I called the factory for info on a particular spec item and was informed that all that data was tossed when they closed that particular factory where my boat was built. This will never happen with a Hatteras.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Owned a 1968 44 Tri Cabin for about four years back in the mid 1980's. As with all Hatteras' built in this era the glass work is heavy, but lacks the external cosmetic appearance/detailing of later boats. The electric system is terrible in my opinion. The DC panel has a rotary battery switch for "house DC power selection" which if left on the "BOTH" setting, has the potential to start a electric fire by drawing starter current though a #6 wire to the DC panel. This becomes a problem when starting the main engines, if one bank is low, as the wire manually ties the two banks together. The remainder of the wiring is unimpressive as are the "Square D" house breakers used both in the AC and DC panels. My boat had no outlet boxes to keep the salt air from corroding the outlets and exposed wiring.

I also disliked the bronze port holes that were difficult to keep water tight, and want to turn green from salt exposure. The aft stateroom excape hatch was constructed of a material that corroded significantly when exposed to salt air. Window leaks were a continuous challenge, but that is a problem with most all Hatteras' with sliding windows. The aft shower drained directly into the bilge and required regular attention to keep the smell down. The boats have screw attached rub rails and mid hull rub rails which are also subject to corrosion.

My summary is the 44 is a boat built like a tank, handles seas well, lots of room for the LOA, but has some details that could have been better done.

Pete

I want to thank everyone here for their input. It has been greatly appreciated.

As for the '68 tri-cabin, we found out there is a five year wait for a slip in the harbors here in Sitka. So until we find a way to get in sooner, it looks like we have to hold off.

Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack0073 View Post
    I want to thank everyone here for their input. It has been greatly appreciated.

As for the '68 tri-cabin, we found out there is a five year wait for a slip in the harbors here in Sitka. So until we find a way to get in sooner, it looks like we have to hold off.

Bummer.
    Naaah....just put it up on the hard, cuz there'll projects to do. Live aboard while yer workin'. Then when a slip comes up, you'll really be good to go! P.s., that's what they call boating in mid-Ohio...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...