Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Choose the site for the NE Rendezvous

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Essex Island Marina

5 33.33%
  • West Brook

8 53.33%
  • Cedar Island

0 0%
  • Block Island

2 13.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Last Poll for NE Rendezvous

Okay Guys here are the ones brought up in the last poll. Remember distances for everyone and choose one. Then we shall poll for dates....

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Re: Last Poll for NE Rendezvous

Copy/Paste from the other thread. Pretty clear how I voted.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essex Island Marina is a destination unto itself. Seperated from the town by 100' of water, it really is unique. Essex is a neat nautical town if you've never been. You must go the the Griswald Inn just to marvel at the artwork. At EIM, you'll see some impressive yachts, engoy a nice pool, lawn games, clean ammenities, small resturant and ice cream shop. Pull out your crusing guide and check for yourself.

As an added treat, Essex is just a short dingy ride to Hamburg Cove and my secret island where I found some silver reale last year. I'd be happy to load the jetboat with a metal detector & trowels and take any wannabe treasure hunters over to the spot.

If we wind up with EIM, there is a very cool antique boat show across the channel from there July 11 & 12. My father has an anique Penn Yan that he brings there every year. It's kind of nice and Sunday morning the ones in the water head upriver in an informal parade.

Just to be proactive, I'll get in touch with my contact there for availability.

K

I'd still like to be further West on Long Island Sound to be "fair" to the people west and south of New York City. Most of the choices make for a very long day and we're traveling for the first time with our two little kiddies (2 + 1). Can anyone recommend another location that is further west so we can all have a maximum of a 5-6 hour trip and not a 8-10 hour trip?
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Like North Port or Port Jefferson? Where would you suggest Larry?

Larry,

We took our little one (at 8 months straight from Block Island back to Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken. It was around 10-12 hours I believe). If possible would you like to trip together? EIM sounds very kid friendly too. Not that i am against it being closer but you could do the run in 2 stops as well. Just an idea to be thrown out. Also, nobody voted for anything closer except me. Kingston I believe on the other poll. But if i get enough calls i will ask Doug to include it and run the poll longer.

BTW, how far south of us are you? Wife wants to go south this year for her B-day dinner in August.

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

OK, not to be the naysayer, but this has been being discussed for a while now, and the area has never really been disputed. We got it started last year in the LI Sound/Ct area and agreed to continue. Over time, we could move around, or maybe a couple of different rendezvous can be set up. We could have the Eastern and the Western LI Sound areas covered separately to give us a choice or an option of more than one get together each season.

There I go, being the spoiler, again!

K

K,

Let me point out that Port Washington was also mentioned earlier (and I believe that is in LI Sound right across from CT.) All Larry is asking for is some consideration for All not just a small group. BTW I was the one who started this last year. And then later on some of you ran with it as well. A bit closer in might be welcome to some. And might help expand this gathering too. So far I have not voted but I know Block is out for us. We went there last year and it was a ride out and back. More importantly there are other places to go and see. And other things to do. Maybe a trip up the Hudson to the CIA for a meal? but then again if only Eastern LI works for you.....

Not to be a spoiler but....

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Let's get this back on track.

We had a good turn out in Greenport last year. Part of the sucess was due to the fact the members offered to host the event at their homeport - which happened to be a Brewers Yard - which offers free transient slippage if your homeport is another Brewers Yard.

The easy remedy here is to hold the event at the Brewers Yard in Westbrook. Capt K has graciously offered to be host, member "Hatterass" has been quiet but also stays at that marina. Westbrook is also 15 miles closer than EIM for those coming from the west. Though I prefer EIM as a place to visit, Brewers Westbrook just seems to make more sense if the objective is maximizing participation.

Let's stick with the original plan of holding this event in CT.

We can plan another event in western LIS at a later date.
    Last edited by Passages; 01-12-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Right back on track there Jim! Good idea!

I can already taste that CT Clambake you are going to show us and Capt K's home fries for Sunday Morning!

Having done the slip reservations/logistics last year, I suggest having the get together at a member's home port marina. The folks we (any of us) know at the marina's we berth or frequent will be most accommodating on slips or making room for those who always wait till the last minute to join in. Remember last year's dock set up? Some of our friends at our docks sacrificed their spots and or access to their slips so that we could be in one area of the marina and even rafted up (rafting usually not allowed).

A west and east rendevous makes more sense. With time and vacation constraints, we are not likely to travel west beacuse the closest marina is Port Jeff for us out east. It is not a desireable location for what we want to do.

Westbrook is a great choice.

Looking forward the second annual whatever!