Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter "cruise" to SC, GA, and North FLA

Nancy and I have a 3 week travel window starting right after Christmas. Not enough time to take the boat south from MD, so we are thinking of "cruising" the SC, GA. and Northern FLA coast by car. Thought we could go slow, poke around, and spend a few days here and there. We have family to visit in Port Orange, but other than that, no schedule/adgenda. Would like to scout out locations for future boat trips to SC & GA. Looking for suggestions on places to stay, eat, and things to see/do this time of year. Y'all please help us out with with some travel tips. Thanks, Bob K

Re: Winter "cruise" to SC, GA, and North FLA

Well, help us refine your search. In the states mentioned there are lots of touristy places with splashy big restaurants/bar grills and high priced hotels. And then there are lots of "secrets". Little known but sweet and charming places that offer unforgettable stay overs and memories.

Some people like high spots, fine dining, and night life. Others like to hang with the locals in out of the way lesser known places.

Help us a little bit. What are you looking for. The 3 states mentioned have it all. If you could target any town of interest I'm betting that the Forum could advise within 2 days where to eat, where to stay, and what to stay away from.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

3. Re: Winter "cruise" to SC, GA, and North FLA

Well here in N. Fla St Augustine is a neat place to visit. Then Fernandina Beach is a cozy small town, usually little in way of traffic.
    Then in Georgia there is Cumberland Island, where John Kennedy Jr got married and still has herds of wild horses roaming around..You have to take the ferry to get there.
    Jekyell Island and St Simons Island we visit once or twice a year (usually by boat) and again are worth the trip (rent a bike on Jekyell Island).
    If I could only do one, I would pick Fernandina Beach...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

St. Augustine has a great Christmas light display if you can get there before it ends. Beaufort, Charleston and Savanah have lots of historical interest.

Bob

We out of the way places and local secrets. Kind of like finding a $10 -$20 bottle of wine that drinks like $100, or a classic Hatteas that's right and couldn't be bettered no matter what you spent on a new boat! Will post again when we have more time tonight.

Thanks & Best Regards, Bob K

If you get to the south side of Jacksonville Florida look up Clark's Fish Camp.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

7. Re: Winter "cruise" to SC, GA, and North FLA

Clarks fish camp is super....

Outback Crab Shack is on the water off the St Johns River (Just South of Green Cove Springs) and has been featured on FoodTV.
    We normally cruise there when out of town friends make it in as they get a 3 hr cruise each way on the St Johns River plus getting a nice lunch.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I will have to check out the crab shack next time I am in town.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well I suggest that when in Coinjock which usually works out for a overnighter! Go to Coinjock marina that's the east side and go to the restaurant for the Prime rib It is GOOD!! Also Town marina in Beaufort will make for a nice day or two even three if you want. Then Wrightsville beach for a few days.
    Sound like a nice trip enjoy!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Thanks all. I have been to Clarks Fish Camp ( years ago on a business trip). It was very enjoyable, a fun place, and we will go back. We certainly liked last winter's 5 day "weather stop" at town dock in Beaufort NC. Everyone is glad to see you in Feb, and no waiting/slip issues. This trip (by car) we want to try to get to know SC and GA better, and plan a real cruise when we have 6-8 weeks. Seems we are always rushing through GA/SC to get to/from Fla. Anyone been to St Marys GA? We have a relative there.

One reason we like winter cruising is a chance to get to know local people when they are not overwhelmed with "busy" in the tourist season. We enjoy places like Belhaven NC. We were told River Forrest Marina was run down, but although the docks were old, the owners couldn't have been nicer, and opened the Kitchen on a cold winter night for a very good meal just for the 2 boats at the dock. The informal tour of the old house (Inn) showed fine carpentry - wonderful interior trim and wood (quarter sawn oak). We walked the town and met lots of nice people. I guess we are eclectic when it comes to travel. We also like Wrightsville Beach and Seapath Marina - seems we always meet fun transients there. Mr brother has a place we visit at Big Pine Key, and we enjoy all kinds places there from Parrotsdice to the Square Grouper, to Little Palm Island. About the only dislike we have is waiting in line.

Thanks again for any suggested stops. Regards, Bob K