Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 60' Hatteras Enclosed Bridge '79 For Sale

I inspected this boat very closely 2-1/2 years ago in Newport Beach when it was for sale for $395k, because it looked like a good deal (until I looked closely)
    Mc Clintock was the representing broker.
    The tabbing holding the interior floors to the hull has failed from the bow to the master, darn near the whole interior is floating loose. Interior doors don't fit!
    The cockpit has slushy core under teak overlay, there are soft spots on the foredeck, the mains smoke like chimneys (BLUE chimneys) and that's not even getting into the white painted and mirror covered (in other words ruined) interior that looks like a South Florida condo.
    In three words...she looks beat.....
    Save yourself the trouble.....pass
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I guess I better take our 60 Hatt off the market after reading luckydave's comments. He looked at our boat too. If he rips our boat in that fashion, it'll never sell. Even though we just did a complete barrier coat on the bottom and put about 20K in the engines. We try to keep it dialed in, but in the internet age, once someone says a boat has issues, you're pretty well screwed.

Fear not Ross.
    Just for the record, I also inspected Ross's boat and found the cleanest, most anally detailed boat in the universe. Seriously! Hell, the seacocks are polished!!
    We liked her enough to sign a contract on the spot, and did. Unfortunately Ross wasn't quite ready to sell at that point, and I ended up buying a different 60C.
    BTW, the boat in the above post wasn't honestly represented either, (wasted my time, the only thing of value I've got) one of the reasons I told it like it is.

I am new here and was wondering if anyone had looked at the other 60 in Longbeach? Current name is Whatever (formerly Wonderlust) doing a sea trial and survey soon.
    Thanks in advance.

There are at least three in the area that I'm familiar with. Which one?

It is a 1978 with black trim with Heritage Yachts Sales. Was named Wonderlust and now called Whatever. It has basically sat for about 1 year and there is a lot of "deferred maint." issues. It had the bottom redone a few years back and the equipment is dated. I'm looking for a sound boat with good mains and i can bring the rest up to speed. It also is supposedly had the deck to hull joint issue fixed. (i did not know they had a problem) See link below.
    Can't post the link I'm too new here.
    B

We only took a quick look at this one as we had three others to see that day. The first impression turned off the Admiral, so....
    She was very dirty but had just been delivered north from Mexico by a delivery crew. Some guys were on board polishing the paint without washing it first. Bad.
    My quick impression was of an unloved boat, but as I say, I didn't give her the fine tooth comb inspection, so my evaluation isn't worth much in this case.
    Hull to deck joint issue? They don't have one that I'm aware of.

We will do our fine tooth comb work this week. I see you are in San Diego. Our home port is Coronado and live in Temecula. Is there anything out of the ordinary i should look at?
    Like i said it has been ignored for about a year. The cooling systems need work and most of the house systems appear to need attention as well as the electronics are dated. We will do oil samples, compression, visuals, etc. Hopefully it is sound and unmolested and we can get it back in shape. If you want to call me, my cell is 760-644-0137.
    Thanks,
    Brad

In my opinion...Wanderlust is VERY tired. It used to sit in front of a house on Harbor Island in Newport and we saw it in the yard having the bottom done a few years ago. It had lived in Mexico for a while. It was really trashed.. As Dave said, I have no knowledge either of any inherent hull/deck issues with the old 60 Hatts. Remember, you get what you pay for.....

We have an 1979 enclosed bridge 60C and I do not know of a hull deck issue and we have put her in quite a few pretty tight 6-8 footers. They are great boats, they roll a little more than I would like while drifting and lack speed. The engine room is a dream and most of the mechanical stuff is well laid out. Your big issues are mains and gens. Beyond that it boils down to a ton of nickle and dimes that can really take over. I would take a good look at the Cruisair systems and the Galley Maid windlass/pooper motors. From there it goes to cosmetics but that is subjective.....
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son