Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6 Stoke Engine

6 Stoke Engine

Probably many of you have seen this before, but I found it interesting. Do you think we will ever see something like this in use anywhere on a wide scale? What are the big drawbacks? I'll admit that I don't know too much about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_stroke_engine
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: 6 Stoke Engine

I found that article pretty good Sky. Especially about Bruce Crower. Always been a fan of his! I think that with the steam cycle, piston ring and cylinder wall lube will be an issue. Maybe ceramic rings? I should offer the sub up as a donor boat to experiment with. Hmmm ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Neat idea. It saves 40% in fuel. NOW, do you really think it's going to go anywhere? It will be bought out and shelved. Why do we need cars that go 120 MPH. Why do we need v8 passenger cars. What happened to the idea of more gears taller over drives. This country does not want to really save fuel. They want to make money.

BILL

Actually, it's the public who don't seem interested in saving fuel, it ain't the fleet buyers who are buying all those pick-ups and soccer Mom vans you see in traffic crawling to work with 1 person in the cab. And someone bought all those V-8 Mustangs and other musclecars over the last ten years.....

The car makers just sold us what we asked them for, now we changed our minds and it's ALL their fault!! Like nobody was aware of pollution, dwindling fuel reserves etc. over the last few years, yeah, right!!

Never underestimate the American capacity for self delusion in support of gratification, it will triumph over common sense everytime. 40 years ago, Jim Morrisson of the Doors sang: "We want the world and we want it now!!!" The same spoiled over indulged children who heard that in the 60's are the leaders of today, no wonder there is no long range perspective. (for example: did W really think Iraq would be a "cakewalk"? He probably did.)

It's combining two cycles.

The thermodynamics principle is that the steam is extracting more heat from the exhaust, thereby wasting less energy out the exhaust.

What needs to get more R&D is ceramic engines that hold more heat in the combustion chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Probably many of you have seen this before, but I found it interesting. Do you think we will ever see something like this in use anywhere on a wide scale? What are the big drawbacks? I'll admit that I don't know too much about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_stroke_engine

Check out the patent list on the url and note the "compound" listings. Many steam engines over the last 150 years utilized "compound" designs, in which multiple increasingly larger cylinders were powered by the lower pressure of each preceeding exhaust. This includes marine and train engine steamers. The old Straits of Mackinaw ferry boat out of Mackinaw City ran a compound engine and I was aboard on her very last paying trip about 10 years ago. She was run down to Chicago and sunk for a reef in 2007. She had a very quiet running engine and was a triple compound (I am pretty sure), with two additional sets of cyls, each larger than the other.

So what is old is new, once again.

Now if you want to talk new tech, the Germans and GM are both coming out with Otto cycle (gas engines) that run on Diesel principals, using very tightly controlled combustion processes using electronics. So at some point the spark plugs are shut off and compression ignition kicks in. The MPG should be very interesting, i.e. "good".
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    I found that article pretty good Sky. Especially about Bruce Crower. Always been a fan of his! I think that with the steam cycle, piston ring and cylinder wall lube will be an issue. Maybe ceramic rings? I should offer the sub up as a donor boat to experiment with. Hmmm ws
    Bruce Crower and his old partner, Dave Schnieder are old friends from way back in my racing days. Both are brilliant and good common sense folks. Now, would that 6 stroke engine be 3 times better than a DD. Maybe, and I will bet it won't leak oil either.

Check out the MYT (massive yet tiny) engine.

http://www.angellabsllc.com/mytengine.html

The main this is to get as high as possible compression and use as much heat energy as possible.

Ok so it was introduced over 2 years ago. Anything happen since then?