Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ULSD diesel at the dock

From another thread it appears that ULSD is what most of us will be getting at the dock. Since the DD 2 cycle engines were not built for this level of fuel lubrication, what do our resident DD experts think is the appropiate response as an owner hoping for long engine life. And yes, I do know that our goverment and the oil companies have promised that there are substitute lubricants added to avoid problems, but I am sure that I do not have to review the reliability of promises from these two in the past!! What say our experts?

Pete

Re: ULSD diesel at the dock

Put some DK in on every fill-up and all should be okay. Just remember that your mileage will be a little less than with low sulpher.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You don't have to do anything DDs are less sensitive to lubricity than engines with in line or rotary injection pumps. DDs can be run on Kerosene which has less lubricity that ULSD. I'm not sure if the DK has a lubricant in it? The USLD runs higher cetane you may not need any aditives at all you will probably love the way your engines run on it. As far as less milage I'm not seeing any diffrence between high sulfer or the ULSD in our trucks. The ULSD has less BTUs but it may be to little of a diffrence to notice or the cleaner burn balances it out.

Brian

I continue to use my old favorite, Marvel Mystery Oil.

Also, been meaning to mention that I used Howe's MPK on the northbound trip last summer and found less transom soot than on the previous southbound trip. I used MPK again for the fall southbound trip, and would say had little soot. The stuff is expensive though.

Bob

Pete,
    I don't know if you saw this one before, but here is the link to a previous thread on this subject:

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...highlight=ulsd
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

6. Re: ULSD diesel at the dock

I know DK has made a huge difference on smoke when I crank up my DD's and my neighbors really appreciate it in the winter time when they use to smoke a lot till warmed...

Never tried MMO but know a lot of people do.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

MMO is good stuff as long as you are aware of it's solvency. Like bio-diesel, it will pick up any crud in tanks & lines and deposit it in your primary filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From another thread it appears that ULSD is what most of us will be getting at the dock. Since the DD 2 cycle engines were not built for this level of fuel lubrication, what do our resident DD experts think is the appropiate response as an owner hoping for long engine life. And yes, I do know that our goverment and the oil companies have promised that there are substitute lubricants added to avoid problems, but I am sure that I do not have to review the reliability of promises from these two in the past!! What say our experts?

Pete
    What about the more modern common rail diesels? I have a pair of 2000 Yanmars.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRA VI View Post
    What about the more modern common rail diesels? I have a pair of 2000 Yanmars.
    George
    All the manufacturers of tier II emissions compliant diesels and later were well aware of the coming change to ULSD I would think you have nothing to be concerned about.

Brian

10. Re: ULSD diesel at the dock

Common rail engines should have no problem with the new fuel; they were designed for it.

Detroits are unlikely to have problems with the lubricity and the better cetane index is a good thing, not bad.

The DieselKleen is cheap insurance.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker