Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 118 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast

Re: I Cant Take The Strain

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Ya gotta forgive me Mike... I remove pics every few days as I can only store about 15-20 here. This pic is mine on the right facing the river. Is yours' gonna be done this year? Remember this one??
    Geez! Everyone must be out working on their frozen boats today... There were actually signs of life at the yard Saturday! ws

bill thats me!!!! i was wondering about your rail as it looks identical to mine? what do you think about it? i know you just bought the boat last year and may not even be able to realisticly compare but i have been on some other threads about the rails and am just wondering about any input you may have about yours.

What happened to the airplane and motorcycle deal?
    I drive Boats and Save People!!!
    See my projects at the link

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter/?start=all

Bill, Man thats a big boat!! the pics are great for us bosun types since we cant read!!! or maybe i have been pickled by salt air!! Start a pic blog if you get the time!!

As for the hull thickness when i put my rails on we used either 3 or 3.5 inch bolts? We figured on setting the bolts at about 1.5 inches in to the hull to make sure it had a good grip. I only found one bolt that came through and it was maybe 4 threads. i didnt nut mine on the inside. i threaded/tapped the hull and 5200ed those in (as well as the rail to the hull) about every 8-10 inches? my hull is the 48yf 1974. also i have my rudders and ports out and when i look in the hole it is atleast 3 inches thick. I know it was extra thick for the rudder preasure but??? i will try to get some pics of both the rail and the hole for the rudders.

As for blocks so the rails dont break. I went to the one and only yard that i trust to pull my boat. i spent about 45 mins talking to the manager explaining what i had been doing. (even though this haul was by a trailer not at his yard he didnt mind) He explained to me that pictures and drawings help him when slinging. He also mentioned that he has blocks of all kinds. some are two blocks that he through bolted with threaded rod and sunk inside so it wouldnt protrude. then you can bend the rod and get it to fit so one block is on the side and one is underneath. the block has a line attached incase its droped or needs to be wiggled to fit. I will add that they also have a guy at the water level on a dock/slip/float thing to help ensure a good lift. A lift with him before the rails would take about thirty minutes just to fit and snug the straps before the lift actually started. Maybe he is just really good and has been doing this a long time????? he is forty five mins away but if i get down there i will get some pics..

As for the YP boats i know that the University of Rhode Island uses one for an ocean class of some sort as well as the naval sea cadets up here somewhere. I have passed them on the water. I am sure a google search might find something??

Bill, i just checked my link below and i have some pics for the rails and the rudder hole.

click on my links and search throught the hatt pics

mike..

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    ... Every day, I cant wait to get home and sit around drinking coffee
    Coffee?
    Is that a new beer?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

What happened to the airplane and motorcycle deal?
    Thats what solitary confinement does to ya!
    Coffee?
    Is that a new beer?
    Just trying to be apolitically correct. LOL

These rails are a composite teak/epoxy laminate and really strong, but the straps put an uneven strain on them. The forward joint has a stainless cap about a foot long and that seems to really help up there, but the back end sees the real weight and really needs some backing. I think my rails were threaded into the hull just as yours are. The blocks will get fabbed, capped with epoxy, set in 5200 and through-bolted.
    The boards are in training right now! Being oak, I dont trust the fiberglass to pull them into shape.
    Finished the AC housing and got a coat of primer on for paint tomorrow. I can only paint half the head first ... I am running out of room on a 58 foot boat! Finish painting in the a.m. and then if its sunny, in goes the shafts. Isnt tomorrow the first day of spring?? ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 03-24-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Also spent a couple of hours pulling the vent fan apart and cleaning the guts with great success. Plugged it in and ran it for two hours and then found out the fan wont fit between the AC housing and the hull... FIRST faux pas on this chapter! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Bill,
    The Navy still has a whole fleet of YP's. I believe they belong to the Naval Academy but am not positive. I see them come into Boston several times each Summer on training cruises. Has your friend contacted the Navy about maybe some help with a pump? Who knows, stranger things have happened. I also just saw an ad in Boats and Harbors for a bunch of used equipment off of some older tugs that are being stripped to make artificial reefs. It may be worth contacting them also. I don't have the magazine here with me but if you need the contact info. send me a pm and I'll get it to you.
    Fred

Thanks Fred! The YP 671 is on loan from the Navy since MANATRA is a 501C program. Its scheduled for replacement in '09 with a 110 foot steel cutter. The 671 is then going to some museum like Battle Ship Cove. I gave my pal several ideas and have not heard back from him. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Had a banner day today! Got an early startand went to menards in Hammond,In. They carry PVC outlet boxws there. They cant sell them in Illinois because they are not code. WTF?? I need to move some switches and outlets in the new head and didnt want to use steel boxes.
    Got to the boat and painted the first finish coat in semi gloss "shell white",not quite as stark as white white. I still need to fill some screw holes I misses so the second coat should be quite nice! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Everytime I start here I have to reboot, I'm ready to give this bozoputer the "SHOE".

The head is lookin good. After some paint, I cut the sink drain into the aft sea chest. The wall is 1/2" so I epoxied the hose barb in and its a done deal. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY