Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: I Cant Take The Strain

Thoughts:
    1) Use the 3 1/2" hose. I think it should squeeze down fine.
    2) Don't worry about the crazing on the site glass. Most of them look like that. We just never get them clean enough to notice.
    3) You can't make a sub drive twice. Don't sweat it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sorry to cast a discouraging word in the midst of all this careful (and painful) work, but from the photo it looks like the new 2 1/2" pipe nipples (and maybe the street ells) may be brass. If so, they will not hold up and you may find them suddenly breaking off one day. If they are bronze you are OK. I'm not sure about the SS fittings in seawater service.

The Stuffing box hose is very thick with no wire so if you can't get the 3 3/8" I would think if you use the T bolt clamps it should work but you really need to try it to be sure. You can try rubber and hose distributors for the right size there are some non wire heavy wall reinforced fuel hoses that will work just fine.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Ah yer just hosin' me! Did you get that 10 ply Buck-Algonquin hose in 3-3/8 or 3-1/2? I'd hate to get it together and have the S-O-G leak on me! I found the T bolts for $7.75 ea. Is that fair? ws

Bill,

I gave you some bum advise on the number of plys, the log-hose on my old units was 5 ply; (just re-looked at the old hose i save everything for just this reason). Also remeasured the old 2" id shaft logs and they are 3-1/2" od at the hose end. The Buck-Algonquin hose is on page 82 of their PDF catalog, it is listed as 5 ply; 3" & 3-1/2" hose, but no 3-1/4". SAMS may have the hose as well. Sorry for the bad info.
    Last edited by mike; 11-25-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    Sorry to cast a discouraging word in the midst of all this careful (and painful) work, but from the photo it looks like the new 2 1/2" pipe nipples (and maybe the street ells) may be brass. If so, they will not hold up and you may find them suddenly breaking off one day. If they are bronze you are OK. I'm not sure about the SS fittings in seawater service.

As far as I can tell they are bronze and the brass nipples are identical to the OEM parts. When this stuff was put together in '74, they hung the whole system in brass on the seacock. Thats a lot of weight hanging on a nipple not to mention strain. With the new mounting location, I will be able to visually inspect them at will plus the strain will be a thing of the past with the units being connected at both ends by hose.
    The SS stuff is all sch.80 and its used in chemical and food plants here. If it lasts only 20 years then its survivis emptor ! Theres a fellow member here thats using the same fittings in sea water service. Maybe he'll pipe up and give us a service report. Hmm. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I think in the a.m. while trudging over to the DD parts place for the correct flywheel bolts, , I'll stop at Berry Bearing where I get my hose and talk to my sales guy. I'd like to add that the 5 ply stuff should be cut out of the kind of hose that comes in straight lengths. The OEM stuff came off a roll and consequently, the gland was never aligned on the centerline of the assembly. Bubba mustve cut this stuff AFTER lunch. LOL It was cut with a hacksaw with a bent blade!
    FWIW Sky... that hose was the condensate drain from the PH! I'm not sure if I mentioned that previously!
    Today was a blistering 29 and WINDY, so we shrink wrapped the cockpit. It aint perfect, but its enough to keep the weather out. All it cost was propane. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-02-2007 at 07:47 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

I have the same nipples in sea water service for 4 years. I replaced the intake piping because the strainers were hung on the seacock and the layout was lousy. The gear cooler has what appears to be an original brass nipple that I could not easily remove and it is still in good shape. The piping is bonded. I have not seen bronze nipples in any of the marine supply houses. The raw water piping on the 671s also appears to be brass and is original. Other than a pinhole leak that was caused by bracket abrasion, no leaks or structural failures. The boat and engines are 1979 vintage.

Well KALO NIKTA !!
    Now I can sleep tonite. I think a major cause of brass failure (cast) in sea water service is poor bonding. That causes the lead and copper to burn out of the brass and leave a cintered (real weak) casting. The only pipe failure Ive seen is from vibration / strain.
    I'll feel better when these puppies are re-mounted and accessable. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

9. Re: I Cant Take The Strain

Bill, my sight glasses were crazed as well. Paul tracked down new plastic, gaskets and stainless baskets for mine. If you can't find them, I am sure he can get them for you.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Thanks for that Chris... I priced new glasses at $150 ea and the gasket set
    (4 pcs at) at about $22.00 . I think after closer scrutiny that the glass is serviceable, and no doubt I can whip out a set of gaskets in a sec...
    I just recieved a catalogue from an outfit in Nova Scotia that handles NICE heavy duty stuff for the fishing boats and high end stuff for trans world trawlers. They sent me a nice 320 page cat. I havent checked their website but its stright-mackay.com Always good to have ANOTHER source for these antiques. They also handle those stupid square drive screws in SS... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY