Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1180

Re: I Cant Take The Strain

FINALLY got the crew together and took the sub out for a 20 mile spin. New trans , bearings and props seemed to help... smooth and quiet!
    The boat runs at 1500 with minimal black smoke (grey actually) but when I ran 'em up around 2200 they seemed to pour out a substantial amount of darker smoke... kinda like a heavily loaded semi going up hill around 45 mph.
    I guess that injector job is on order for next winter! FWIW, above 1500 the bow came up probably 5 degrees from displacement speed. Didnt have the GPS on so speed is unknown, but what a difference!!
    I was a bit disappointed in the tiefen wasser... shed hold steady at 45psi at idle, but made only about 100 pounds of air at speed. Still need to fix that damn tach cable! Maybe electric tachs to match the FB next year too...
    Old Butchregaurd was on patrol... poor guy is an antique now; Hes almost blind, stone deaf, has Parkinsons' and canine dimensia, but for 15, (thats 105 in people years) not too bad. I hope he gets to go out with his boots on ;-(
    ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-15-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

My new next door neighbor Norm came by saturday and asked me if I wanted to go fly with him! What a treat! ANYTIME!!! The plane is a 2000 Diamond Star all composite unit with a 140 hp Lycoming built in Canadia.
    He's based out of MDW (Midway) so we flew from MDW to Gary to Know Ind, over Lemont and home. 2:45 air time. Did some ZERO Gs and stalls. Keep me flat and level PLEASE!!! Guess where else we had to go...??
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Norm, console, and the stupid 19 foot bridge in Lemont (the RR bridge) thats the lowest point between the Gulf and Chicago... right Doug ?? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Our house is on the left in the patch o' green. The accelerator at Argonne national lab and the "Y". Thats where the Ill/DesPlaines river meets the Chicago sanitary and ship canal (l) to downtown and the Calumet sag channel (r) to Cal harbor... looking northeast. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I wonder if it was cooler downstairs (tempwise)?
    Crawford station where I spent my best 30 years. That was, in 1923, the worlds largest coal fired generating station with 6 Parsons steam turbines at 22 megawatts each...Delivered by ship from Great Britain. oh Boy!! Now it has 2 units from GE and Westinghouse at 285 and 345 Mw each.
    To keep it it perspective, a typical Nuke unit is 1200 Mw.
    Then the final approach to MDW. What a day!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Didnt want SKY to feel left out... The yellow faced brick building is the front office and McCook facility for Electro-Motive Division. They are down to about 25 units per year from about 500 in the '70s. Bummer! Nice limestone foundation for building locos eh Sky?? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

The raping of our ex homestead is almost finished. Bulldozers come in this morning to finish them off ;-(
    From THIS to this... Those were 200 year old oak and hickory trees. Damned scorched earth policy! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Back from the dead

Well guys, when it rains it pours. Finally got the word about a real job. This may be of interest to some here. A while back there was some discussion about Gulf Coast Filtration... The outfit that I'm starting at Wednesday has gone one better...
    This system uses oil fed from a tee at the pressure switch to a regulated one micron filter, then to a unit that heats the oil and reduces any foreign liquids such as fuel or glycol and water and returns to the crankcase. The heater only runs when the ignition is on.
    This is a travel job and I'll be in Nashville Il. all week then Dallas oil fields next week and then Chicago for the week after. Its a chance to make some fat dough for sub improvements next winter. I get a laptop with the job so maybe I can stay tuned in here as well!
    Their opinion is that GCF is antique technology ... Heres the links to both. Maybe I can wrangle a discount for the DIY's... ws

http://oilpursys.com/
    http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/prod...il_filters.htm

I found this kinda related to the other current thred about the full crap cans and bypass filters "crank case overflow tank?"
    yachtsmanWILLY

Clean oil is good. However clean oil with low viscosity not good. I did not read any info on these systems. But are they saying the Viscosity is going to be o.k. for longer or what???

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Hey Gary!
    As I am just starting in this business, I tried to promote marine units to the manager also... evidently he hadnt realized the size of the market thats available also...
    All I know is that an average oil filter is about 20 micron and the filter on this unit is between 1 and 2 micron. The sale of one of these units comes with semi annual lube analysis and is supposed to extend the oil change intervals on trucks to about 40K miles.
    Several commercial boats Ive worked on had the Gulf Coast units and seemed to really extend the oil life.
    I am under the impression that a secondary filter with a fresh oil change should extend the viscosity lifespan as well. I'm sure that by the end of next week I will have a lot my questions answered and will surely post them here... stay tuned! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY