Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 118 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

I Cant Take The Strain

Old black beauty, my 2000 silverado, let me down. She ate fuel pump #5; so my bride drove me down to the boat and she went shopping. Since I only had about 5 hours to work, I only tackled some measurements and some odds and ends.
    The packing gland hose size is suppose to be 3-1/2". I used my dial caliper on the gland and the pipe and found it to be 3-3/8" (?) 3.385 (with paint) and 3.430 on the bronze gland. Also the OEM hose was 3 or 4 ply vs. 8-10 ply that Mike had mentioned, plus. mea culpa, no wire in it. The gland showed signs of mis-alignment (duh) so I can see having a non wire hose there. Ya think 3-1/2" will squeeze that far?
    I scraped and washed all the bronze stuff and then used Brians(?) suggestion about dunking it in muriatic. DEFINITELY do that outside. The shit smoked up a storm! Choke,choke! The water was off at the yard so I grabbed a bucket of water out of the river to rinse the parts with. My fingers are still numb! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-02-2007 at 07:48 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Re: I Cant Take The Strain

As we used to say, acid f--ks up your jeans, and it does a number on yer chromosones LOL. Seems to work good on the bronze stuff tho... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Comments on the 3 AND 4 ply hose? 3-3/8" seems like a bastard size to me. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

ARGHHH !! The strain caught up. This is how the intake hose came off the stariner outlet. It was piped direct to the seacock. Scraped the parts and wahed them too. A little rub on the old wire wheel and this stuff is gonna look like new! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I was a little concerned after washing the sight glass off the 2500 Groco sea stariner. The plastic is pretty crazed. Any comments on that? When running, its under vacuum, but when off... After theyre re-mounted, they'll be above the water line, but is that a reason for everyone else to shut the cox when they leave the boat??? Anyone ever had a glass failure?
    The pic was shot with sunlight on the glass to show the crazing. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I get to admire my collection (almost complete) of 2-1/2"NPT fittings for the strainer job as Alex appears after a hard day of shopping on Black Saturday! She made me drive home too! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Bill you are doing some amazing stuff.

Ah yer just hosin' me! Did you get that 10 ply Buck-Algonquin hose in 3-3/8 or 3-1/2? I'd hate to get it together and have the S-O-G leak on me! I found the T bolts for $7.75 ea. Is that fair? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Now Bill I figured a tuff guy like you would just fill up a pail with muriatic and just hold the part in the acid with your hand untill the bubbles stopped ?

Hunt down the heavy ply stuffing box hose I've seen the ordinary hose fail from torque. It's such a pain to change get the right stuff. Try Buck Alqonquin or Sams it's hard to find but necassary.

Brian

HA HA !! At first my cuticles turned black and about an hour ago my nails started to fall off. Actually once they were done boiling (the parts) I pulled them out with a brazing rod and rinsed them in fresh water but there was all this white slimy shit inside that needed to be brushed clean with a paint brush in the water bucket. That part also took care of a lot of the grease imbedded in the castings.
    That stuff really stings when you get it in a cut, but my naills are really killin' me !!!!! EEYYAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!
    The B/A site was down yesterday so I'll try again Monday. I was surprised at the 3-4 ply stuff with the torsional strain on it. Will the 3-1/2" clamp down that far?
    Fingers are ok but the fumes are BRUTAL ! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY