Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rudder removal

rudder removal

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious but I can't get the @#$% rudder out of the rudder port. I disconnected everything and as far is I can tell it is the rudder port (minus the nuts) and the rudder post. I can't see what is holding it in. In the process of replacing prop shaft, skegs, etc. While I'm thinking about it can the rudders be cleaned up and reused? doesn't seem to be any damage just several years of barnacle growth. As always THANKS!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Dan B
    1963 34DC
    Last Year's Rent

Re: rudder removal

Once the lock nut and the packing nut are off the rudder should be able to be tapped out. But the packing will still be holding it and as old as your's is you may need a bigger hammer. Or a packing pick to get the packing out first.
    Mike

You can get the packing picks from McMaster-Carr catalog.

I am usually to quick on the brute force and ignorance so I didn't want to try a hammer until consulting the experts. A bigger hammer I will try Success with a big hammer. Thanks.

Any ideas on the prop shaft. I can't seem to get the collar that attaches to the tranny off. I did remove the set screws. BTW the bigger hammer didn't help on this one!
    Last edited by danshat; 07-31-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Dan B
    1963 34DC
    Last Year's Rent

Some light oil would be a good idea too. Drip it from the top and work the rudder back and forth to get it working through the packing. It may just fall out after. Be ready.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by danshat View Post
    Any ideas on the prop shaft. I can't seem to get the collar that attaches to the tranny off. I did remove the set screws. BTW the bigger hammer didn't help on this one!
    I recently removed and replaced my shafts, and it was NOT fun. To get the coupler separated from the shaft, I sprayed everything with PB Blaster for 2 weeks. After I got the props off, the only way I could separate the coupler was to screw a large slide hammer onto the shaft, and go at it leaving the coupler bolted to the transmission. I know, I know, its terrible for the gears to be banging away at it, but I was left with no options, and I knew that would get things going.

While your shafts are out, be sure to replace the cutlass bearings!

Jason

The collar or coupling for the transmission is usually a tight fit and had a key PLUS set screws. Some have a split some don't. The way they come off is usually a puller or a BFH. Remember if you beat it off there is a good chance it will not be usable again and they are not cheap. They can be bent out of alignment and beaten out of balance so be careful.

The worst ones have had me cut the shaft behind it so I can remove it from the boat and use a press. Another one was rusted bad enough that I cut it apart with a grinder and left the shaft intact.

Send pictures and we may be of more help.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

To remove the shaft you seperate it from the transmission. Remove the big nut and then add a spacer in front of the shaft. Then reatach it to the transmisson using longer bolts. Start each bolt work around and bang the collar is seperated from the shaft.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Gary that sounds like you are making a puller from the collars. It works unless something gets cocked. I have a socket I used to do that somewhere that I need to get a picture of. I eventually pulled the tranny to get more space to work on it. It was only a BW though.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by garyd View Post
    To remove the shaft you seperate it from the transmission. Remove the big nut and then add a spacer in front of the shaft. Then reatach it to the transmisson using longer bolts. Start each bolt work around and bang the collar is seperated from the shaft.

garyd

My shafts did not have a nut inside the coupler. They were held together using a pin through the shaft and coupler, and two large bolts tightning the coupling down onto the shaft. I wasn't able to make a puller out of my coupler unfortunately. Just depends on the setup.