Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Allison Gears

Allison Gears

A friend of mine overseas has a busted Allison M15 gear with a ratio of
    1.5 to1.He wants to use an Allison M20 with a ratio 2:1 to replace it, since he can't repair the M15 or find a direct replacement locally (Greece). Can he do that? The vessel has twin DD 8V71N engines and it means one engine will have M15 Gear and the other an M20.

I got a quote from Pacific Torque of $6,169 for a rebuilt M15 Gear. Is the price fair? Thanks for your input.

CapetaniosG

Re: Allison Gears

Call Kalamazoo Marine Gear @ 269-345-0629, they may be a big help. They are located in Kalamazoo, MI
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

If he replaces a 1.5 to 1 ratio with a 2.1 ratio the prop shaft will be turning slower on the 2 to 1 at the same engine RPM.

Brian

4. Re: Allison Gears

Running two different gears on the same boat is perhaps ok for a temporary fix, but the 2:1 engine will rev too high and never develop it's HP....as Brian posted...unless the prop is changed.....It's not a good idea as a long term solution. for example if he runs via synchronizer, the boat will pull towards the 2:1 side...to get equal thrust, he'll have to run engines at different RPMS...

On the other hand, if your friend has room to increase prop diameter, going 2:1 makes that possible and should increase efficiency a bit....but in the long run he'll want to change both transmissions....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Thank you guys for your input. As always you're the greatest bunch.
    I'll be with Lady Ntina on 8/5/08. I can't wait.
    Have fun and a great boating summer of what is left.

capetaniosG

Call Acadian Marine, they are straight up to deal with and are about as reasonable in price as you are going to find. They do a lot of the offshore oil-rig supply boats and know their Allisons very well, and usually have units in stock ready to go.

Acadian Marine
    21 Burgess Dr.
    Broussard, LA 70518
    337-837-3636
    Brian Lemmon
    Last edited by mike; 08-04-2008 at 03:00 AM.