Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Insurance north of Florida

What kind of premiums are you all paying for boats operated north of Florida? I just got a quote for a 1986 45c $250k hull value - $5500 and must stay out of Fl. $7500.00 deductable. Seems high to me.

I'd like to shop this around. I have read the older thread and noted the suggested underwriters. Any more current insight is welcome.

Cheers, st.tully

Re: Insurance north of Florida

Remember coastal vs. inland waters will have huge differences in premium. So, are you asking what folks are paying who are in a hurricane area, but north of Florida?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

George, I'm paying $1900/yr with BoatUS on my 46 Matthews for $115k hull coverage, 1% deductible ($1150.) $500K Liability, cruising Chesapeake Bay and tributaries which is probably the safest body of water on earth.

4 years ago this month when I bought the boat it was $1092/yr. for the exact same coverage. $1900. is a 74% increase over 4 years ago, and most of that increase came in the second year.

Gasoline goes up 15% and there's a media frenzy. Go figure.

Connecticut - 1979 43C, stated value around 150k, paying around 1600 or 1700, with a 1500 deductible, I believe. Don't know if it matters, but I have 40 yrs or so experience and a 50GT Masters Lic. Thru Boat US.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Use would be fishing of the NC Coast. I don't have alot of experience with large inboards BUT I intend to have a licensed captain on board and would have this caveat in the policy. I'm going to call BoatsUS. The previous owner of my boat was paying 5k for a Fl/Bahamas policy.

6. Re: Insurance north of Florida

We are "thinking" of relocating to Tenn (the Admiral is pushing for it) but as it was 27 here in Nashville this morning..(ugh)...
    Will be interested in what my insurance company tells me the difference is when I call him next week though.... Will post it when I find out..
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I am paying $2006 from BoatUS for 120,000 value 500,000 liability, 1% deductable, on my 88 40' DC. This is for the entire eastern coastal waters north of Florida. I live in New Jersey. Ron

Very interesting Ron.

I'm paying $2,175 annually for $159,000 coverage, 1% deductible, $300,000 liability and $500 towing (I also have BoatUS towing). Oh, '88 40' DC. All this through the Power Squadron and St. Paul Fire & Marine. Boat is domiciled in the Carolinas.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Located Southeast Georgia, just 40 miles from Florida. Home of the Georgia Bull dogs, the same ones that whipped Florida and will whip whoever they get to play us the bowl game, $300k hull value, no cruising restrictions, $6,300.
    Had to submitt storm evacuation plan and copy of 100 Ton Masters
    license.
    Fifth Girl
    St. Simons Is Ga
    1996 39' Convertible #628
    J & T 6-71 465 hp
    3:1 ZF, 34x47 5 blade

Smile Re: Insurance north of Florida

Well I feel a little better about being in NJ. I pay about $1,450.00 for $250K hull. 500 liab. and 2% deductible. Oh by the way, I have been an active member of the U.S.Coast Guard Aux for close to 20 years and hold most qualifications. My insurance company apparently puts a lot of stock in all that training. Considering that just about everything else in NJ is more expensive it's kind of nice to know that we do have a few advantages. (We also have the best politicians money can buy)

Walt