Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 45 repower

I have a 1987 45 convertable with 540 hp 6v92 DD's. I would like to repower for reliability and slightly higher cruise(21kts.) Cummings recommended their QSM's with 610 HP so that I would not have to reshaft. I presently have 2" aquamed shafts. Any thoughts or experiences repowering this size yaccht?

Re: Hatteras 45 repower

The QSM11 is the absolute best engine in the 11 litre category period.In fact I participated in a repower of my friends 48 Viking convertible from 735hp 8V-92's to QSM11's. He picked up a couple of knots cruise, much better fuel economy and loves the Cummins engines.I would bet your 45C will be a rocket and cheap to push.

Have to agree the QSM is a good choice. I put the Cat C-12 at 700 HP in my 45 and at 1900 RPM cruise 28 knots. I've heard the QSM gives the same performance, but perhaps costs a little less. I have lots to tell you about my install, so if your interested in the details, send me a private message

Smile Re: Hatteras 45 repower

I just repowered a 53c with 2 QSM 11s. I will be glad to share any info. PM me.

5. Hatteras 45 repower

There was a thread about a year ago which provided a formula for determining Hatteras speed versus HP. Perhaps someone can remember the title as I could not locate the thread. Another 140HP should give you a few knots but the formula might give a better initial insight.

If you haven't already searched here, check out "repower" of your exact title...there have been lots of posts and insights....

Another thought...Unless you want to slam the "pedal to the metal" likely you can use some additional HP with your current shafts. Shaft sizes seem to generally be conservative....but others may have specific recommendations for your particular boat. My guess is that the shafts are sized to have margin for the full HP WOT rating in really nasty sea conditions...conditions few will ever experience...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Town Creek Marina in Beaufort NC did a QSM repower in a 45C several years ago....it used to be on the Cummins site....boat's name: "Foolish Pleasure".

They'd probably be able to give you a good bit of info.

Rick

I have a 45C that I repowered with the QSM11 660hp engines. I have the 2" shafts and used 1.48/1 trans. I have had no problems with the engines or the shafts.
    Good Luck