Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cool Idiot boat owners

Sunday we were enjoying a beautiful day at the marina, (we still have no power) Sitting up top drinking a cool one.

Some dumb _$$ not paying any attention, coming in to fast and not allowing for current. Hits our bow pulpit, bounces off and hits a sailboat and power boat. Everyone at the marina yelling at him, He finally shuts here down.

Jammed between two boats.

My husband gets in our tender and takes his line to the other side where they pull him into his slip.

Knocked some gel coat off our hat, but no damage.

Just had to vent...There was no real meaning to this post.

Re: Idiot boat owners

Was he in a SeaRay?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The best ( or worst ) I ever saw was a 40' sportfish that would surround the boat with fenders when coming into the slip, line up with the opening, back down hard and shut down his engines. I have no idea why he did this but I understand he was eventually talked into hiring a Captain for a few days to teach him. He did manage not to hit anything but the dock though.
    I believe the fault in a lot of these instances lies with the dealers/brokers. There is just no excuse for them putting both their customers and the rest of the boating community at risk when they sell a large boat and send inexperienced people on their way.
    JMHO, Fred

Luckily the owner was the only one who suffered damage.
    We lost some gel coat..no big deal
    The sailboat a few scuffs and the little regal lost his spot light.

The canuck was just an overnighter, not sure what the boat was but some kind of trawler. He did suffer minor damage to the hull and his little zodiac he had will need some repairs.

He left out early Monday Morning headed north, Watch out Jacksonville!!

Gottatanfl, you have my complete sympathy. Although my boat
    is in 'pre-restoration' state, I worry about a sailing school which has
    four slips immediately across from me. I have seen a boat with
    a half-dozen students on it, running the diesel wide open in
    reverse, and stationary in the slip. Much head scratching. It
    seems they forgot not to untie one line, but *all* of them. And
    these are people honestly trying to learn, as opposed to the
    goof that hit you. Sigh. It's just a matter of time before I meet
    them up close...

DAN

I just don't understand how people can be so stupid and not just learn by OBSERVING. There are many people that do FINE jobs maneuvering boats...do amateurs not have curiosity to just see how the people do it...if the person is doing a good job, copy them!

You mean it's not just like driving a car? I don't need no f-in lessons. I can already drive for chrisakes! Just show me whe the gas pedal is in this thing.

A friend of mine was fishing on Long Island sound recently, when a boat pulled up next to hers to ask directions (now there's a clue already). When he realized he was drifting up too close to her (beam to beam), you guessed it...He steered "away" from her and punched the throttle, slamming his stern into the side of my friend's boat.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Last year, I got hit in my slip by a sailboat that was at full throttle. She never pull back the throttle until after she hit me. And when it came time to pay for the repairs, the sailboat owner did nothing but complain about how much it was costing as if I was pocketing some cash off of him which I was not. I gave him the yard bill directly and he still made remarks about the cost! Geez! Had to remind him that I was secure in my slip washing my boat when his wife rammed me at full speed. I guess he thought I should have paid for the damage myself. ???
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Last year, I got hit in my slip by a sailboat that was at full throttle. She never pull back the throttle until after she hit me. And when it came time to pay for the repairs, the sailboat owner did nothing but complain about how much it was costing as if I was pocketing some cash off of him which I was not. I gave him the yard bill directly and he still made remarks about the cost! Geez! Had to remind him that I was secure in my slip washing my boat when his wife rammed me at full speed. I guess he thought I should have paid for the damage myself. ???
    Aw c'mon, Ang. A snailbote at full throttle should have just bounced off your Hatt.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

ang, makes me wanna avoid marinas at all costs.