Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Magic potion for cleaning out head plumbing?

Greetings all,

I seem to remember something that was written about putting in my heads toilet to get rid of the calcium build up in my head plumbing. I searched but nothing popped up so can someone help me? I don't feel like pulling my pipes apart and banging them on the dock like last time! Never a fun afternoon. Any body got the magic potion and how do I apply it?

Thanks in advance...

Captned
    78 46' CONV

Re: Magic potion for cleaning out head plumbing?

Was it phosphoric acid? If so, is that stuff OK to use on head hoses and then run it through the macerator pump?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Calcium build-up must come from the water you are using. I have never heard of it as a problem. I just changed all my sanitation hoses and after 20 years they were clean as could be. No build-up of anything. We have well water and it is very soft. Ron

It was white vinegar.

I agree though, I've never seen scale in the sanitary system become a problem.

It's quite common in salt water flushing heads. When I rebuilt my heads last December, I found that one of my 2" hoses and the 2" PVC was almost completely packed with the calcium build up that is similar to dried concrete. There was a mere 3/4" passage remaining. And a testament to the strength of a GM macerator, it was still sucking everything through that small opening...before it reached the "blender" blade.

I replaced all of those hoses/pipes. I had never seen anything like it before. As I continued to move through the boat replacing hoses, I found that stuff everywhere.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Ummm, ok, maybe not calcium build up, but whatever it is, last time I cleaned them (soon after I bought her, six years ago) It had restricted the 2" pipe down to maybe 1/2 inch. It appeared to be a hard type of build up that you could break loose by smacking it on the dock. I use salt water for flushing. My faithful galley maid has been acting like the pipes are getting clogged.

Thanks for the help!

Captned

Hey Ang, you beat me to my post! Thats the stuff!

Captned

It's crystaline not calcium I think it's caused from Peeing in the head (that's why I always pee over the side) Just kidding. Muriatic Acid if I rember right about 25% acid 75% water pour it in flush a few times then let it sit it's suposed to break it down. I had it like Ang almost closing the hoses I'm told if you double flush if it's not going to used for a while that helps?

Brian

I'm doing my '79 43C right now. So far my magic potion has included a sawzall, a circular saw, a large knife and a prybar to help me rip those damn hoses out and replace them altogether. Once that's done, it's a new Atlantes Freedom head, and a nice new teak and holly sole. 30 years from now the SO (subsequent owner) can worry about it again.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Yooowwwweeee! My VERY careful about how much Muratic acid you add. 1/2 gallon at once was a little too much! And stand by ready to flush it away. Almost had a mini volcano in the head! Seems to have worked. Time will tell. Thanks all...

Captned
    78 46 CONV