Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Re: Larger Props For Efiency And Engine Life When Running Big Engines Slow

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Have never heard of a Vibration Test....Is it a formal procedure and or test debvice??? can someone explain what's involved...how it's done....can it isolate different sources???
    Rob
    They hook several sensors to different location on the boat. Then ran the boat from 900 to 2300 rpm in and recorded the vibration readings in 100 rpm increments.
    If you are interested in seeing the data from mine pm me your email address and I will email it to you.
    Chris

2. Re: Larger Props For Efiency And Engine Life When Running Big Engines Slow

Chris,
    Thanks for the offer, I'd likely not know what the results mean. Sounds interesting.
    Do they have benchmark's for comparison?/ In other words, how helpful are the sensors in isolating an actual problem? Did they make specific interpretations for you....For example, I'd assume the aft most strut adjacent to a prop gets more vibration that an intermediate strut in a drive drain that's ok...so it would be the additional vibration variations beyond those typical variations that would most likely be relevent....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.