Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

58TC limped in to New Orleans from CHICAGO

A 1972 Hatteras 58 Triple Cabin showed up the other day at the yard in New Orleans where my boat is. What's interesting is that the old salt running her is the ORIGINAL owner of the boat! He claims to have well over 300,000 miles under the keel and after listening to a few of his stories I believe him!

Unfortunately she came in on one engine (sound familiar??) because he hit something on his way down in the Mississippi that tore a blade on the stbd prop and sheared the key in the coupling. The boat is fairly original and in surprisingly good overall shape. He has painted her more than once and rebuilt the detroits several times as well.

Sorry to not have pics (Yachtsmanbill) but no camera to use. The name of the vessel is Empty Pockets and the dinghy is Pocket Change. Surely some of our fellow members will have seen her over the years! Anyone? Anyone?

2. Re: 58TC limped in to New Orleans from CHICAGO

Am convinced that Yachtsmanbill eats, sleeps and does everything else with a camera in his hand....... (you fill in the blanks on that)

300.000 miles is a LOT of boating....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: 58TC limped in to New Orleans from CHICAGO

No pic but it's the 51st largest privately owned yacht in Chicago according to the link below:

http://www.sigrissystems.com/largest_yachts.php

I have never seen her, but I remember "Hatteras World" magazine doing a story on her from the early to mid 1980's.

I bet yachtsman Willy has not informed them of the cockpit extension or he may be moved up a bit on the list. She is probably 66 foot LOA
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I am not sure of his story. That boat has been in St Pete for years.

Shhh! I'm trying to keep a low profile, besides I'd hate to upstage Bill Templeton om his '73 58' !
    Conversed with him on the VHF in Seneca last summer... he was out for a sunrise stroll on the river, but he was headed north. I was getting ready to get underway to head for Chicago. Nver caught up with him after that.
    All the big guys on that list are compiled from owners info on the WESTREC list. They manage all the city marinas here since ol' Harold Washington thought there wasnt enough graft to support his constituancy. Just like the USS Silversides and SS Milwaukee Clipper at Navy Pier. They didnt generate enough income LOL. There are probably another 100 or so at private yards in the area.
    The YP671 is the MANATRA sea cadet training vessel that my pal Tom Bohling runs. Posted a pic of Caesars Ghost a while back. Cant find it right now, but this one is PERFECT LADY.
    Ya ought to hook him up with Randy for parts! Tell him to look me up when he gets back next spring. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-31-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    I am not sure of his story. That boat has been in St Pete for years.

Dang Dave... I'm sure it was the same boat up here. (?) Maybe M.T. Pockets but it sure looked like a TC in the morning fog from 1/2 mile away. ws

Byron, are you still high and dry? Didja meet that corn fed cutie in the office yet LOL. How about Dave with the ambulance. If you meet up with Drew Curole AKA Boat Clinic, tell him I made Chicago! Great DD guy! ws

10. Re: 58TC limped in to New Orleans from CHICAGO

When the Admiral worked in Nashville, Tenn back in 1998-2000, I couldn't believe the number of big yatchs berthed there....

The really interesting thing was the number of sportfishing boats over 50'.

How big a boat do you need to go fishing for catfish or crappies in a dang river?????
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com