Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Re: Just looking for an opinion

The 455 is an excellent motor. The torque specs for the car version was 490-500 ft. lbs. which is real stout. Even on the lower horsepower engines of that size, the torque number doesn't fall off much.

When I was first looking for a car when I was 17 years old, I test drove a 455 cutlass. The throttle pedal was connected directly to the rear tires! That car spun the tires all the way into third gear. It sort of scared me a little bit as it was instant response.

I would love to see the pics of the restoration. Too bad the motors are in good shape. I would like to see my "fantasy" of the 520 stroked 440s!

Re: Just looking for an opinion

My first big boat - a 1963 Pembroke - had an Olds 455. Lots of torque, easy on fuel and never missed a beat no matter what abuse I threw at it.

That engine was the only thing that wasn't junk in the boat.

Re: Olds

All,

Thanks for the responses regarding my Olds; it seems more and more like a good thing. I had assumed the PO got jetboat fever, but they are conservatively done with cast iron exhaust wet logs, and a decent 4bbl intake. As usual, I always learn something from this forum; lots of expertise on all issues!

POPRFD, maybe you didn't catch it earlier, but Ray said the pics are nice, but too small to view. Any hope of larger ones?

Eric, regarding your post to a different thread, my first vehicle was a '68 Hemi RoadRunner (black, sedan, hemi, no other options), which occasionally I see posted to the web when it sells.

DAN

4. Re: Just looking for an opinion

POPRFD,
    The Classic Mako guys in Jersey swear by these guys for your tank:

http://www.sptanks.com/webdev/contact.htm in Jersey

http://www.lutherswelding.com/ in Rhodie Island

Also, if you need help with your pictures, I can walk you through it.

Dan,
    I had a friend who had the same car. Black on Black. HEMI, 4-speed, Dana 60.

No power anything, except for under the hood!

Quote Originally Posted by rrr View Post
    hi,i'm down in maryland with a 34 .i have a question what speeds do you get out of 440's? thanks Ray
    Don't know if this is relative; but I am in MD too. I have a 1968 38' Series I convertible. It was repowered from 440 Chryslers to new 454 MPI's with new gears, complete bobtail drop ins. At 3200 rpm I am getting 19 knots, at 3400 just over 20 knots at 3600 around 21 and at WOT 24 knots. That's a GPS speed. I keep it at 3200 rpm and it runs great. I did not own the boat when it had the 440's so I wouldn't be any help there.

A pair of 502's would be great as well. I am not a big fan of the 496 though.

Quote Originally Posted by rrr View Post
    hi,i'm down in maryland with a 34 .i have a question what speeds do you get out of 440's? thanks Ray

I never pushed it ,I ususally just cruise at about 2400 rpm, I guess thersno need to push your luck, If you need to get there quicker, I always say leave earlier. (lol). Gas is horrible about 11 gal per hr each engine.

Im trying to put up some larger pics but its not letting me.

Eric ;
    Thanks for the info, I have spoken to them already and they quoted the best out of everyone $1100.00 per tank

This forum keeps telling me the size of the photo is to big only acceptable limit is 19.5 kb , thats the small pics i already have up any suggestions?

9. Re: Just looking for an opinion

QUOTE=POPRFD;79297]This forum keeps telling me the size of the photo is to big only acceptable limit is 19.5 kb , thats the small pics i already have up any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how you are doing it, but here is how I do it.
    Join photobucket.com or some other free picture hosting site.

Take your original pictures and resize them. Here is a good picture resizing program: http://www.irfanview.com/

Using the above program, you click on resize and select 800 x 600 then click half, then save the picture, now you can upload it to photobucket.

After you have uploaded it to photobucket, click on the fourth box down under the picture. It automatically copies the link. Then go to your post and paste it in.

The second box down is a link, like this: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18.../IM004520b.jpg which is good for larger pictures.

The fourth box down is a picture, like this:

The link method is good for everyone, especially those that still use dial up, as it opens an external link and doesn't slow up the site here.

You may also want to make sure you are saving the picture as a "jpeg" and not a "bitmap".

You can also use the "insert image" button at the top of the reply message box, then paste in the url from photobucket.
    Last edited by Mako440; 10-30-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Heres Some Larger Pics
    Attached Images