Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Notice for southbound traffic

The following note was posted a couple of days ago by the Army Corps of Engineers, Norfolk District:

ICW's Dismal Swamp Canal is closing Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:49 am (PST)
    Due to low water, the Army Corps of Engineers will close the Dismal
    Swamp Canal next Tuesday, October 30. The final lock opening will be at
    3PM. The 26 mile waterway, also known as the "Virginia Cut", connects
    Norfolk, Virginia and Elizabeth City, North Carolina.

Lake Drummond, which feeds the canal,has a depth of 3.6 feet, rather
    than its normal 6 foot depth. To cope with low water levels due to lack
    of rain, canal locks have been opening twice daily, instead of the
    normal frequency of four daily openings. The canal will remain closed
    until water levels return to normal. The canal's last closure was from
    November 2001 and March 2002.

This closing only affects those of you planning to cruise south through Virginia via the 'ditch' (and my Thanksgiving weekend cruise plans!).

Re: Notice for southbound traffic

The VA cut and the Dismal Canal Cut are two different bodies of water, no one takes the Dismal route uless they have an I/O as the water is always too shallow. The VA cut remains open all the time ...............................Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    The VA cut and the Dismal Canal Cut are two different bodies of water, no one takes the Dismal route uless they have an I/O as the water is always too shallow. The VA cut remains open all the time ...............................Pat
    Pat,
    Is the "VA Cut" that upper most section of ICW that proceeds eastward (then south) out of Great Bridge?? That should stay open virtually always.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Traversing the "ditch", the old canal originally surveyed by Geo. Washington, in a large vessel is not a problem when Lake Drummond water levels are up and the ACOE can maintain the 6 ft control depth. On my last trip down this ICW canal I followed a 90 ft. long tour boat that I know had at least as deep a draft as our Hatt. Turning around - which you have no reason to do anyway - would be a problem.

Michael Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 58YF
    Chesapeake, VA

We traveled along the Dismal Swamp last year in our old 34' Sedan. it was a great experience.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

6. Re: Notice for southbound traffic

The ICW has two routes south of the Norfolk area. The primary route that goes through Great Bridge and Coinjock is the most commonly used route. The route the notice to mariners is refering to is the Dismal Swamp route that is accessed by the Deep Creek entrance at the northern end and the comes out near EC on the Southern end. It is a very straight shot and navigable at normal water levels with little issue for most recreational boats. There are no services or marinas along it's length unlike the other more popular and deeper route of Elizaberth River to North Landing River that has many marinas and safe places to stop if you like.

With the rains we are now having, Lake Drummon may just get back up enough to cancel the closure.