Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new props

Docs Holiday Guest

new props

Looking to get extra set of props-current ones are 30/32. 4 blade. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced source? Where do you store them?

Sams Marine Guest

props

We have a used pair of 30 x 32 four blade nibral props with 2.5" bore #8 cup. They have been reconditioned and are in very good shape. If they will work for you call us at 954-585-8933 and ask for Jeremy. Reference props 207 & 208.

Thanks

Nonchalant1 Guest

In 53MY...

apare props are stored under the bed in the aft stateroom. There's a special space and proper sized cover panel right in the middle of my queen bed. (Queen athwartship configuration).

Doug Shuman
    1978 53MY

BEC53 Guest

Spare prop storage

In my 53 they are also under the queen in the master, but one that I looked at had them bolted through the forward bulkhead in the genset room. I just it depends on what model you have and where you can find the room.

Nonchalant1 Guest

Prop Prices

I did a LOT of looking and pricing and 28X31 Michigan Wheel Nibral props are very expensive. I bought them new and the prop shop tuned them and PropScanned them for $1900 each (yes, you have to tune new props!). Lots more $ than brass or bronze, but a metalurgist friend of mine says they're really worth it.
    I'd go with the pair from Sams if they're good and priced well. Sam's didn't have those last winter. If you want new, I'll look up the name of the lowest price guy I found.

Doug Shuman
    1978 53MY

Docs Holiday Guest

Re: Prop Prices

Thanks for the info guys-I have been in touch with Sams and am currently checking out the refurbishing done on these props by Lauderdale props.
    I will check out the storage areas mentioned.
    thanks

Trojan Guest

Prop Prices

I have my props computer scanned and reworked by hand every spring.I though it was just away for them to take your money until I had it done.Worth every penny(BUCK).They run so much smoother than the old hammer block method.Once you have it done that way you will never go back to the old hammer blocks.New factory props only checked at a grade 5 or 6 level.Hammer blocks check at 6 and up depending on the person doing the work.My props are checked at a 2 level.Large props like 36 in.and over are checked at a level 1.Small props 12 in. on down do not need to be checked at a level 1.,5 or 6 is fine.Because of the blade size.Check level is defined by the number of computer passes over each blade and the spacing between each pass.I could give you this info but the thread is getting to big.Cup size which you pick can be verified by computer.It can't be by hand only a guess and there is no proof that its consistent along the blade edge.The same goes with the pitch.Its a win win on the computer.They even give you a print-out of the before and after.A wheel check is free if you think you bent one or want to know how close it is to size.It cost me $435.for 2/16 X 16 wheels last spring.I haven't taken my 24 X 26 wheels in yet.You can bet I will though.You know the wheels will be correct when you put them on.Bill

34Hatt Guest

Re: Prop Scans

Bill
    I was getting ready to have mine scanned this winter and was wondering if it would make a difference but you just put the Icing on the cake Thanks I already feel better about doing it.