Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aah924 Guest

Engine room lighting

As I am approaching the end of my rewiring project, I need to make a lighting decision for the engine room. I was thinking about (2) 2-4 ft. fluor. lighting in the front & rear engine room area, but was wandering if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks,

Allen

Genesis Guest

I did....

... 12V flourescent lamps.

One set in the front of the ladder.

One set outboard and aft of each engine.

LOTS more light than the original incandescents, and they still run on 12V, plus, they draw a LOT less current.

I like the seutp and would do it the same way again.

hATTISFACTION Guest

lighting

I used fluorescent "linkable" in both my previous and current Hatt engine rooms to supplement the 12v system and they work very well.Inexpensive and durable , available at Home Depot. I used 24" and put nine in,four around each engine and one for the genset.
    The "linkable" feature makes it a pretty easy install.
    You will love the brightness when working in the engine room. They hold up really well but are inexpensive to replace if needed.

Trojan Guest

Engine room lighting

If its cold when you need light you won't have it with fluorescent.The Coast Guard, sealed vapor, waterproof,shock proof fixtures are very costly.I have both type lights in the engine room.But I need to up grade the same as you.I work on the inside of my boat in the winter.Genesis,I have not had very good luck with 12 volt fluorescent fixtures.What kind did you install.The power source on the ones I used always seam go bad in a short time.The new stuff probably is a better design.Bill

Genesis Guest

Got 'em...

... at West Marine.

They weren't real expensive and are available in various sizes/wattages. I got two of the largest available ones for the rear of the engine room (one for each side) and one smaller one (to fit available space) for the forward area near the ladder. They're a LOT brighter than the incandescents that were in there before.

Electronic ballast; if they die I'll replace 'em with something else. But they work real well.

My engine room doesn't get THAT cold - if its going to be cold I turn on the block heaters and that warms up the engine room a bit. Nonetheless, I've started the flourescents down to below freezing temps before without problems - below that do I really want to be working on the boat?

The sealed "UL" style explosion-proof incandescent fixtures are not that expensive - they are rated for explosive atmospheres, so that ought to satisfy ANYONE. They have the gasketed screw-on glass globes and metal guard covers over that. Those are available at any decent lighting supply store. However, they take incandescent bulbs, and the 50W 12V bulbs are both fairly short life and draw a LOT of current (5A EACH), so with a passel of them going you better be on either generator or shore power, or you're going to get a surprise in a few hours.

Nick Guest

engine room lighting

I also have the screw in globe type incandescents. Last spring while cleaning up the bilge and changing out most hoses, I cleaned the bilge and hull sides, wiped the surfaces with mineral spirits and coated whatever I could reach with white bilge coat. What a difference in illumination. It also is a lot more pleasant working in the tight spaces.

The screw in bulb type fixtures look like they are vapor tight and suitable in corrosive environments, but I don't believe they are explosion proof and probably not suitable in Gasoline powered boats. Neither explosion proof nor vapor tight fixtures are necessary in diesel atmospheres. Truly UL rated, Explosion proof fixtures can be very expensive.

The next set of fixtures will probably be fluorescents as I have left the lights on and significantly drained the house battery with those 50 watt bulbs.

Trojan Guest

Engine room lighting

Those lights sound like a nice outfit I'll check them out.I forgot they also have cold start fluorescent too.I'm not lucky enough to live in the Sunshine State.Lots of family there.If I don't work on it in the winter,thats all I get to do in the summer.Bill

jim rosenthal Guest

Has anyone tried...

..the kind of flourescent bulbs that screw into standard sockets? some of these throw a lot of light, they don't get real hot, and they are available in 12v or 110ac. I used the HD engine room "look" lights but I don't think they are ignition protected either. Less of a worry with diesels but I admit I am cheaping out on this one. The real thing from Hubbell is EXPENSIVE.

Genesis Guest

DON'T!

The 12V CF lamps are specifically placarded to NOT be used in a totally-enclosed fixture, which those explosion-proof fixtures are.

I tried one. It lasted about two hours and then blew up. Literally. The magic smoke came out of it.

That was when I gave up and mounted the flourescent fixtures.....

Nonchalant1 Guest

ER Lighting

I have two 48 in. 110VAC 40 watt flourescent lights in each engine room (one on the side, one on the aft end) plus the 32V incandescent globe protected bulbs. The fluorescents light it up like an operating room and the only times I'm doing serious engine room work is when I'm at a dock or in the warehouse in winter. The two 32V bulbs work fine for engine room stuff underway and if I ever really want the big lights, I can always start the genny. The only protection I have is those heavy clear plastic tubes with endcaps covering each bare bulb. Works for me.

Doug Shuman
    1978 53My