Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Re: Sady our boat caught fire last night.

We have fire hoses on our docks and I know I would put one in a boat if I could while it burned until the FD got there. I know I can open anyones door or window quickly in an emergency with some damage but less that the burning will cause.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

2. Re: Sady our boat caught fire last night.

Even if you can't put out the fire, you can at least try to keep the adjacent boats hosed down to keep them from getting fire damage.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

3. Re: Sady our boat caught fire last night.

Well, if I see a boat on fire, and I also see a fire hose, 1 + 1 = 2 and the fire hose is going to be used on the fire.

That's that - as far as I'm concerned anyway.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    Well, if I see a boat on fire, and I also see a fire hose, 1 + 1 = 2 and the fire hose is going to be used on the fire.
    I dunno, I may feel the sudden urge to take a fire hose shower at that very instant lol

5. Re: Sady our boat caught fire last night.

I believe Neosin said they were in the process of getting insurance and I am surely not coming down on him for not having it, but I do think this experience should have us all asking some serious questions.

If your boat is damaged by another, and lets speak about fire, I would think there would be a deductible still. And in order to collect the victim would have to sue the owner who does not have insurance.

Can we imagine the hardship this would put on the person responsible who did not have any insurance ?

Neosin,

If there is a positive side to this story you have shared, I would think that you still having much to salvage to help recoup your investment, and the fact no other boats were damaged is definitely a good thing.

So what are the requirements in the various marinas ?

Is proof of insurance a requirement to stay there ?

What if a person owns their slip, are there any exemptions ?

6. Re: Sady our boat caught fire last night.

Every marina I have ever had a slip contract with insisted that I have at least liability insurance and requested the policy number, name, and phone number of the insurance company.

I presume they verified that it was in force.

I've never been asked when staying somewhere as a transient.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

What is the latest on the fire damage . Last I saw the boat was on the hard in Seabrook.

I own my slip and I am required to keep an insurance copy in the office. I'm also required to keep a copy at the yacht club.

BILL

EVERY marina I ever leased a slip from required proof of insurance. I have never been asked for it as a transient. Maybe the theory is that if you are a transient you are actually ON your vessel and therefore you have some interest in it not catching fire..at least one would hope so.

I have never (that I can recall, anyway) seen a boat fire of any significant size that did not damage another boat adjacent to the burning one. Usually the distances are so small and the heat so great that it would be unusual for no other vessels to be damaged.

I keep my boat at a private slip (not mine, I hasten to add- I just wish it were). I have not been asked for insurance, but anyone who's read my posts knows that I have it, after numerous struggles with BoatUS. There are no other boats close to damage, but I still don't leave anything running of any size, and I inspect the cables with a great deal of paranoia. We've all been there.