Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

what kind of sprayer?

I've got a hull gouge to touch up, and I'm wishing I asked my painter what kind of little jobby he was using the last time he did a touch-up for me. I want to try it myself.

He mixed up standard Sterling 2-part poly and had this very small sprayer that didn't use a compressor. I'm afraid of trying to brush in the touch-up, as it'll probably lay up too thickly and I'll notice it when I'm done. Figured I could ghost the edges better with some kind of sprayer.

Any ideas? Could it have been an airbrush?
    -- Paul

Re: what kind of sprayer?

Theb yard guy here uses a "Pre-Val" little sprayer. Its a jar with a compressed air little charge that seems to work great for small touch ups.

They sell a small sprayer made for spraying model cars... I saw it at Michaels craft store.. (the Wife dragged me in, one of those "it will only be a minute")

Chris

For real small jobs a 'Pre Val' will do well, but be sure the paint is thin enough to spray smoothly. Might need a bit more thinner than if using an air brush. There is another small gun that we called a peanut gun. Just a bit bigger than an air brush.

Bob

My favorite is a "jam gun" made for small spots in cars like door jams but it requires a compressor. I hooked mine up to a scuba tank.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The door jamb gun works great; like a regular gun. I like the finger trigger on top. Easy to controll.
    Prep the work area, and when you go to paint, spray through a hole cut in a piece of cardboard about 10-12 inches from the target. 2-3 thin coats instead of trying to cover it in one!! Let it dry, then 1200 wet sand the edges and buff it with 3M super duty compound. Youll never see it; just dont point it out to the judges! ws