Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Liveaboard suggestions again-Marco Island?

Hi everyone:
    Got word yesterday that I didn't get an annual contract in Palm Beach, so I am furiously looking. Angela, I called your marina and have been trading messages, but the receptionist said they were full. I did find that Marco Island has availability; it's not ceap ($1327 plus power), but way better than winter in PB. I'm wondering if I might feel too isolated there, but wonder what anyone might know about it. Remember, I need very dog friendly.
    Thanks again-
    Holly

Re: Liveaboard suggestions again-Marco Island?

Are you sure about Marco?
    I am here on Marco and word around here is there is noplace for livaboards.
    If you need somebody on this side to check something out let mes know.

BTW Rates around here are about $12 a foot + power.

Holly, "we're full" is what you hear if you make that call yourself to pretty much anywhere around here. This is Miami...it's all about who ya know around here! They were "full" when I got here, too, and I couldn't find a slip anywhere in Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Then a fellow forum member here got me in with a phone call. That's just the way it works in Miami. Now, it could be that they really are full, but I do see an empty slip behind me that has been empty for several weeks now. How big is your boat?

Another thing I learned when hunting for a slip, and being a liveaboard, is not to ask if they allow liveaboards. Get a slip and then deal with the issue later if it ever comes up unless you are in a place where there is some stupid ordinance against it. Here, there is a liveaboard fee, but no one pays it, except for one slipholder who was a complainer and whiner. None of the rest of us have ever been charged that fee. And management knows darn well who all of the liveaboards are. As long as you're not a trouble maker, they love us like family here. And they appreciate what the liveaboards do for the marina - all those extra eyes keeping watch on stuff, not just for the bad stuff like thieves, but for broken water lines, boats not secured well in their slips, power lines laying the water, etc. And then during a storm...the liveaboards here do a great job of helping the staff manage the boats during a break in a storm, resecuring them, pulling them off of each other if that happens, etc. So, my point is that liveaboards are not frowned upon here, we just don't walk into the office asking for slip rates and availability "for a liveaboard." It's sad that that word can be such a taboo word in the world of marinas, isn't it?

If you're truly interested in this marina, you should visit it first and decide whether you really want to be here. It's got its great points, as well as its not so great ones. Once I go to the dockmaster and ask him to make room for another Hatt, he will do all he can to make that happen, and I wouldn't want him jumping through hoops for nothing. Last time he was full and I begged for him to come up with a way to get the new Hatt in here, he extended the pier and built another slip for her!
    Last edited by Angela; 10-17-2007 at 10:50 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Thanks, guys-
    Unfortunately, I'm not even in south FL to deal with this mini crisis; I've been back in the panhandle where hurricane Ivan 3 yrs ago destroyed a condo of mine that is just now ready for owners to get in and rebuild interiors, so most of what I am doing is by phone and internet.
    I know I need to go to these places personally...it is, after all, my home, not just a place to park a boat. And I need the same things I need in a neighborhood...commradarie, concern, safety, social connection, recreation, pet friendly...and I love places where I can walk and not have to get into my car for everything. That was what I really loved about PB. I didn't even put 3000 miles on my car in a year there!
    The good news about this aggrivating condo is that I do have a legal FL address, so that gives leverage to the livaboard issue. But I do tell people that when I am on my boat, I am ON my boat.
    Ang, I did tlak to Jay, who was very helpful. I also spoke to the Miami Beach MArina, and turnberry Isles--which is inexpensive relatively speaking for a resort. I also spoke to Sunset Harbor. New RIver in FTL is out from a security standpoint. Las Olas City Marina is $2.40/ft per day plus electirc. That's a bit proud, wouldn't you say??? No, thanks!
    I am a memeber of a FL council of Yacht Clubs Club, so I don't know if that will help me. All my info is back on the boat...
    Anyone know Admiral's COve or Jonathan's Landing?
    What I am really realizing is that I could take two years to get from PB to Naples, just stopping in lovely marinas on the way. Sounds like fun...now I just need someone who wants to do that! And can run the boat! And that's another entire issue that I am going to make a post about!
    As for Marco-I talked at length with Elmer, the dockmaster. He was wonderful. The only issue for a liveaboard is that you not use your showers on your boat, or do laundry aboard. Bit of an inconvenience, but not insurmountable. I'd love to hear more about Marco, if you'd be so kind to enlighten me. I'm a WIsconsin girl, and the west coast is more midwestern, so that interests me. It's a values thing.
    I'm scared and excited at the same time. New opportunities, but the looming deadline...so much to do, so little time...

Hi Holly,
    If you wouldn't mind being a little farther north, In North Fort Myers (on the Caloosahatchee River we live at a marina called Paradise Preserve, a small (69 slips). It is friendly, relatively cheap ($11 per foot per month plus electric) and a low liveaboard fee. Your car is close to your slip, and the marina is close to most anything you need. If you want more info, feel free to call me.
    Norm Mayer
    aboard Runaround Sue
    (1970 44 ft Hatt Tricabin)
    513-378-6628

PS I don't own or work there, just another liveaboard.

Cool Re: Liveaboard suggestions again-Marco Island?

Quote Originally Posted by Holly on Virtue View Post
    Hi everyone:
    Got word yesterday that I didn't get an annual contract in Palm Beach, so I am furiously looking. Angela, I called your marina and have been trading messages, but the receptionist said they were full. I did find that Marco Island has availability; it's not ceap ($1327 plus power), but way better than winter in PB. I'm wondering if I might feel too isolated there, but wonder what anyone might know about it. Remember, I need very dog friendly.
    Thanks again-
    Holly
    HOLLY,
    YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY LONGBOAT KEY MOORINGS/GREAT MARINA ACROSS FROM SARASOTA. PAUL MOSS(BROOKLYN BRIDGE)

8. Re: Liveaboard suggestions again-Marco Island?

Come on up to jacksonville, we have 2 60' slips available.... And that will only run you $600 a month plus electric.

Just had our monthly dock party today.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com