Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anchor chain

Dave Phipps Guest

Chain Rode

Has anyone heard of G8 or 5B chain? I believe my 53' Hatteras has a Galley Maid windless with believe it or not, a 1/4" chain gypsy. I think this was designed to save weight of heavier chain, and as I understand it 5B chain or G8 chain was supposed to be stonger than any ussual 1/4" chain.

At this point I would like to change out the chain, (it's showing signs of rust) but not the gypsy. I can only imagine trying to get the gypsy off of the windless after 21 years. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

mikep996 Guest

Re: Chain's NOT better than Nylon?

I have no experience with chain but I was under the impression that chain rode is much better than nylon because the chain absorbs shock also because it is never tight - as in straight. The bow in the chain absorbs the shock and the weight of the chain helps the anchor dig in better, it can use far less scope, and obviously, it doesn't chafe. I have never had a boat with chain rode until now (It has a chain rode and a nylon rode. ), and have yet to drop this boat's anchor, but I thought chain was the superior method. No?

double eagle Guest

chain???????????oh.......

for those of you who may not know ...
    you should never let the chain pull on the windlass
    when anchoring...
    we use a chain hook on a length of 3/4 nylon double braid and use that as the snubber for the chain ...it takes all the abuse from the movment of the boat..
    usually have 15 -25 ft on the snubber..
    you can put it right on the front of the bow pulpit or shift from one side or the other depending on the wind and waves...
    my2cents
    bill
    double eagle

Nonchalant1 Guest

1/4 in. chain

Dave,

According to Hinz book, mentioned above, the highest grade of 1/4 in chain should be OK for a 53EDMY in normal conditions. Regular (proof coil) 1/4" chain has a working load of only 1,250 lbs and a breaking strength of 5,000 lbs. However, 1/4" high test chain - grade 43 - has a working load of 2,600 lbs and a breaking strength of 7,800 lbs.
    According to ABYC, a 53 ft boat produces about 1,700 lbs. horizontal force with a working anchor load and 3,500 lbs. force on a storm anchor up to 42 knots. Just using the "standard" of deviding the breaking strength by 4 for a reasonable working load a 7,800 lb breaking strength chain has a good working load of 2,000 lbs. compared to the 1,700 lb. ABYC number. The quoted number of 2,600 lbs is even better. Of course, bigger is better, but sounds like 1/4 chain will do if you're not anchoring in winds above 42 knots.

I'd suggest getting the book to anyone. It's full of good anchoring advice and some "save the day" advice. For instance, there's a right way and a wrong way to attach a chain to an anchor with a swivel. Both ways look great and look strong, but one direction can cause the swivel pin to break while the other doesn't.

Doug Shuman
    1978 53MY