Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anchor chain

BEC53 Guest

Anchor chain

I just beat out my Galleymaid windlass with a long handled sledge hammer (As instructed by Rick @ Galleymaid). Wow, did it come out hard. Now I really know that I have a well built boat, though. I couldn't even see the deck flex when I did that.

Anyway, GM is supposed to be upgrading this windlass to chain. Imagine ordering a new 53 with just a capstan and no wildcat--seems crazy on a boat this size, but that's how it was.....So, I have told them to configure it for 3/8" chain. I plan to use 3/8" high-test galvanized. Is this the proper size for a 53EDMY?

My previous boat had an Ideal with 200' of chain and it always held very well. I'm looking to replicate that, but thought I'd make sure my sizing was right while I still have a chance to change it.

mikep996 Guest
    One of the 53MYs we looked at - and would have purchased nearly 2 years ago - had NO windlass or bow pulpit. It had 2 anchors mounted on the foredeck to be totally "operated" by hand. Seemed weird to me but the only reason we didn't buy the boat, a 1973 model, was that at the time, we couldn't get a slip at our marina for a 53. Otherwise, that '73 it would be there now!

Our 53 has 150 ft of 3/8 chain rode. I don't know if that is the "right" size or not, but that's what it has had at least since 1991. Since the last owner operated the boat from Florida to Canada, I assume (we know what they say about assumptions) that the 3/8 chain worked fine. It LOOKS right for what that's worth.

MORNING STAR Guest

Anchor chain

I have a 53 EDMY and I have 300 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode. I think the chain is 3/8 but I cannot find the spec anywhere. The Hatteras manual may have it but I will not be going back to the boat until next week.

Sorry.

Dennis

Morning Star

diamondsun Guest

Anchor chain

GM rebuilt ours. Let Rick at GM tell you what to use.
    Our rebuilt one works great.
    Also you can get a remote control for up and down.
    Kerry

Nonchalant1 Guest

all chain rode

is a bad idea. Chain is great for normal anchoring, but for any storm anchoring it can cause serious damage to your boat because there is zero stretch in chain. nylon twist rope stretches to relieve the incredibly huge pressures created by big waves in a storm. I've seen pictures of pulpits, fairleads and bitts destroyed when a chain ran out of slack and came up tight while a big boat was heaving in weather. Rope plus chain rode is the best. As a minimum, with an all chain rode set up a heavy nylon rope long-lead with a loop of chain to absorb shock at the bow if you expect heavy seas.

There are probably as many opinions on this as there are sailors.

Doug Shuman

jim rosenthal Guest

Agree with Doug...

...on this. You need the stretch of nylon, and you will need a LONG anchor rode for a boat where the pulpit is so far above the water. It adds considerably to the scope. Best source I've ever seen on this is The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring, by Earl Hinz. Very readable and very informative. I carry 250ft of nylon, I think, and about 30 feet of SS 3/8 chain. For a 36 boat it could be lighter, but I found a deal on SS chain and the weight helps the Fortress dig in.

Nonchalant1 Guest

chain size

That same book by Hinz will tell you exactly how to calculate the size of chain based on the weight of your boat. It'll also back up "all chain is a bad idea", plus give you many insights into anchoring in various situations.

Doug

BEC53 Guest

Chain rode

Thanks for all the input!

I used an all chain rode for 10yrs with no problems, although I will admit that I was never anchored in heavy seas (40-50kt gales, but only protected areas). I do carry another anchor with all nylon rode just in case and I have thought about the problems of all chain. I have just found that for most of my experiences, all chain worked well.

We love to anchor, but we are always careful to find protected anchorages. I took the last boat from Tampa to the Great Lakes via the ICW, to the North Channel and Georgian Bay, and back down the rivers to Guntersville, AL, with many anchorages over those years and had no problems.

Walter Pereira Guest

chain/nylon rode

I have also used all chain on one anchor and 3/4" nylon with about 20-30 ft of chain leader on the other. I usually deployed the all chain main anchor and took care of the "shock" from less than calm conditions by using a harness comprised of the large rubber dock line snubbers that are readily available from most marine supply houses. My present Hatteras (a 1982 48 MY) came with a Galley Maid with a capstan only. I've contacted GM and they will do whatever is necessary to convert and refurbish my large windlass to a dual use by installing a chain gypsy as well as the capstan. Should cost about a grand or so.. Walt

spartonboat1 Guest

Chain/Road in Great Lakes by Hatt

Long time Hatt salesman tells me that Great Lakes new Hatts are configured with 100' chain, 200' Nylon rode. I had asked because Maxwell rep indicated that all new Hatts had chain only.

Saleman indicated that with the current desire for go-fast boats, nylon saves weight; also, not much in the way of rode eating coral in the Great Lakes.

Woof, -25 in the Straits area of Northern MI last week...