Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Southern Hurricane Holes or Marinas?

We have been slowly making our way south from Baltimore allowing the hurricane season to pass and have spent a few days in Charleston, SC. The waterway south of here doesn't seem to have much in the way of hurricane holes, so I'm writing to ask if anyone can recommend hurricane holes or well protected marinas between Charleston and say Fort Pierce, FL just in case we should need it. Thanks,

Bob
    'Chateau de Mer'
    1981 48MY

Re: Southern Hurricane Holes or Marinas?

The St John River shoudl be a great hurricane hole, Charlie can give you some pointers.

further south, the St Lucie River / okeechobee water way off Ft Pierce is a good way to get inland as well.

Marinas, you want something sheltered with minimal fetch and fixed slips. Ft Pierce marina was destroyed 4 years ago when the floating piers gave way.

down south, moving the boat out of harms way is the best bet, since many storms come straight at the coast. worst case scenario is a storm that swipes the coast.

We are no past the worst of the season although a La Nina has developped in the pacifc which makes for a more active atlantic.... also, the late season storms are not as "reliable" as teh typical august cape verde storms and often form in the western carib, moving north.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: Southern Hurricane Holes or Marinas?

I have decided there will be NO hurricanes this year....

Now having said that..... There are a lot of "safe" hurricane holes here in N. Florida/ S. Georgia if needed.

When will you be arriving in MY area ?

I am located 35 miles inland but protected on all four sides from wind. And unless the water level gets over 14 ft, we just party during storms...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    I have decided there will be NO hurricanes this year....

Now having said that..... There are a lot of "safe" hurricane holes here in N. Florida/ S. Georgia if needed.

When will you be arriving in MY area ?

I am located 35 miles inland but protected on all four sides from wind. And unless the water level gets over 14 ft, we just party during storms...

Charlie, we just arrived in Palm Coast. The 'coast' looks clear so far and we'll run to Daytona Beach tomorrow and then on toward Port St. Lucie. Where are you on the St. Sohns and can others take advantage of your good fortune if need be?

Bob

5. Re: Southern Hurricane Holes or Marinas?

The Coast Guard takes her boats into "Doctors Lake" whenever a storm threatens (not the big ones, but the 40+ foot ones and smaller).

The shrimpers like Black Creek as it has a lot of tall trees and is narrow so they can tie up on both sides of it to trees.

Here on the Ortega River, if you are under 20ft in height, you can do the same as Black River after passing under a fixed bridge...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Ripley Light Marina - Charleston, SC (only Chas. marina to survive hurricane Hugo - 1989)

Lady's Island Marina - Beaufort, SC

Shelter Cove Marina - Hilton Head Island

Windmill Harbor - Hilton head Island

Isle of Hope Marina - Savannah, GA

(I like Charlies attitude on hurricanes!)
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Thanks guys. I'll file it all away for next season.

Bob