Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Water Heater Replacement

We have the orginal tank type water heater in our 42 Hatteras and it appears time for replacement with rust forming at the bottom. Does anyone have experience with the instant water heaters VS the old tank design? The new instant units save a great deal of space and certainly appear more practical.

2. Re: Water Heater Replacement

There was thread on this during the cold season....they require too much electrical power...or a propane system...for prompt heat...and you forgo free heat from engine running...for those who use a genny a lot it would seem a natural to hook up a water tank via a heat exchanger from the genny.

A smaller hot water tank can be heated a lot faster but of course the supply is more limited...and you can easily find 1800 watt electrical heaters instead of 1500 watt at Home Cheapo...I replaced a 20 gallon tank with a 12, and a 1500 watt element with an 1800 watt and could heat water about 40% faster....but it did not retain the heat overnight as much as a larger tank..
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Water Heater Replacement

This is what I put in after my tank failed:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=32631F
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl