Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portlight Leaks

first230sl Guest

Portlight Leaks

I have a few portlights which appear to be leaking (1971 58 YF). Most are dry, but a few have water stains under them on the inside of the boat. Is this typically due to cracking around the outside rims (and therefore requiring replacement), or can I take them out and re-seal them?

I know I can get new ones from the fuller company and am happy to do so if need be - but I've never removed one of these portlights before so just wondering if there is anything I should know.

Thanks!

Murray

BEC53 Guest

LEAKS

I had one that leaked and I just put 5200 around the area where the lip meets the outside frame--Leak stopped. I would think that those would really come out hard, but I have never removed one. It would probably come out in pieces, but I guess you really don't care if you are replacing anyway.

67HAT34C Guest

PORT LIGHTS

Are yours metal or plastic?

if plastic, I purchased new ones from Beckson, purchased direct from factory and saved about 60%

There is also possibility that leak may be above the port, capilary effect. leak rub rail or deck fitting, soaks the interior wood from back side and may leak down to the port light.

either way the Beckson system appears good. they recommend through bolt from the inside with barel nuts on the outside, the trim ring covers the nuts. you put the sealer between gap in the opening and the port flange. then put the trim ring on with the sealer alone,no screws, very clean system. we replace all 6 in our 34c and have had no problems in 1.5 yrs, happy with quality etc. you can get clear or smoked lights, fixed or opening. we have both fixed and opening and both seem to be quality for plastic parts.

Dick Guest

Re: PORT LIGHTS

It's been years since I last did this, and my memory is fading. But, I removed the trim ring. As I recall, it was screwed on the port as well as caulked. I broke one and Sam's shipped the Fuller replacement. Simply recaulk and screw it back on. The new caulk stopped the leaks.

Dick

Walter Pereira Guest

port lites

I had a similiar experience and removed the trim rings on the exterior (very carefully). Fortunately none broke. After a thorough cleaning I re-installed them and also replaced the rubber "gasket", which looks like a very large "O" ring in the window itself. It almost looks like window screen mounting rubber glued to form an O ring. Whatever it is I bought enough new one's from Sam's and installed them (be sure to locate the seam at 12 o'clock). Since doing the port lites and re-bedding ALL the deck hardware including cleats, stantions etc I no longer have leaks. All this was done last spring (04) so I have no idea how long it will last. Walt:rollin

first230sl Guest

Portlight info ...

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate it!