Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    jlr Guest

Solar Light for American Flag

I was wondering whether anyone knew of a good source to find a small, white solar light to mount on my hardtop just under my American flag so that I can fly the flag 24 hours a day. There are fairly large and expensive garden type lights but I am sure that some clever Hatteras owner has found a source for this small light source for this use. Any help would be appreciated.

Nonchalant1 Guest

expensive?

There are plenty out there for $35 or so through Google. They are mostly LED types that have a dim white light all night.

mikep996 Guest

Wow, I'm impressed!

Most people have no idea that the flag is only supposed to be flown at night if lit. There are flags in our neighborhood (they look more like rags) that have been flown day and night for several years. I mentioned it to one of them as politely as I knew how but he blew me off completely.

My 88 year-old father (combat vet of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam) raises the flag on their 25 ft pole every morning and takes it down every night AND he folds it correctly.

MORNING STAR Guest

WOW

Mike,

I am impressed with your Dad!!!

Tell him a guy from Tennessee thanks him for his service to our Country and prays the Lord will bless him and his family in a special way!!!!!!!!

Dennis

mikep996 Guest

Re: WOW

Thanks Dennis,

I joined him and my Mom in DC for Veterans Day. He was there for the various ceremonies. I was absolutely blown away. At one point, at the WWII memorial a woman, who could not have been older than mid-30's, engaged him in conversation that lasted probably 10 minutes and ended with her throwing her arms around him and saying, "You really are the greatest generation, thank you for saving us all." Honest to God, I was in tears and extremely proud of him. The next morning, his picture was on the front page of the vets day section of the Washington Post. When we boarded the flight to leave DC, the pilot recognized him by the picture, announced it and there was a huge round of applause. When we landed, several passengers came up to him and asked him to autograph copies of the paper.

I didn't even like my dad until I was probably 45 years old. We do learn as we get older. It's a shame it takes so long.