Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crozier Alarm

Nonchalant1 Guest

Crozier Alarm

I have a Crozier alarm on a 1978 53MY that didn't work when I bought the boat. I fixed it and it works now, but here's the question: Do you only turn it on after the engines are running? It's one of the older 4 bulb alarms that monitors engine oil pressure, engine water temp, bilge high water in 3 bilges, and fire in the engine rooms and the generator room. When I turn the alarm on with the engines and ignition keys off, the oil pressure alarm sounds. The alarm has a test function and all 4 functions test OK and with then engines running, the alarm does not sound.
    I'd like to be able to leave it on for the high water alarm overnight when we anchor out, but I guess it's not designed to do that?

Thanks,

Doug Shuman

Nonchalant1 Guest

Re: Insta-Alarm

For others of you that may have an "Insta-Alarm" like mine, I got the answer - just install a toggle switch on the oil pressure detector wire and turn it off when the engines are not running, then the alarm can be left on at all times while the boat is in use (like at night) and it still monitors for fire and high water alarms.

Doug Shuman
    1978 53MY

mikep996 Guest

Crozier?

Is a Crozier alarm something different than the standard multi-point alarm system that was oem on HAtts? Our 53 has the alarm system/panel that came oem with the boat as per all the original diagrams/data. The low water alarm will sound and the panel light will illuminate when any of the low water switches are activated whether ignition is turned on or not.

It makes no sense (to me, anyway) to have a low water alarm that only will activate if the ignition is on.

mikep996 Guest

further...

In more carefully reading the first post, it appears to me that your alarm system is wired so that power is not applied unless the ignition switch is on. The system has to have power at all times.

If it correctly wired and powered, the fire and low water alarms will function independently of the ignition switch as long as the batteries are not disconnected. The oil pressure alarm(s) should sound immediately when you turn on the ignition key and continue sounding until the engine builds up enough pressure to stop the alarm.

If you need wiring diagrams for the system, I can copy and email them to you in the next few days. They won't be great because the diagrams are quite large and it will take several separate "pages" to copy but it should be useful.

Let me know

Nonchalant1 Guest

alarm

Mike,

I have the original Crozier "Insta-Alarm" that was installed by Hatteras in 1978. It has 4 lights and monitors 9 circuits for fire, high water, engine oil pressure and engine water temp. With the above mentioned toggle switch, the alarm is on all the time and the switch just turns off the oil pressure detector alarm. That leaves the fire alarms and high water alarms on all the time as you say. I just didn't understand it and there's no owners manual.
    I have the boat wiring blueprint schema for the boat alarm wires, but no wiring diagram for what's inside the Insta-Alarm box. However, it's all working now, so I'm assuming it's OK. I'm just going to label the toggle switch and use the alarm. I have not figured out how to test the fire alarm sensors, since they're also hooked up to the big C02 tank and I'm afraid I set it off.

Thanks Again,

Doug

ronbecky Guest

systems monitor

The system on my 88 40dc monitors the halon, engine room fire, ac power, and hi water switches all the time, as long as the house battery is connected. None of the engine alarms are monitored until the ignition switch is turned on. Apparently not all of these boats were wired the same.

BEC53 Guest

Systems monitor

I believe the 12pt monitor was used from 1978 to 1988. This is a different system than is on Doug's 53. His may have been an early '78.

Re: Crozier Alarm

I know this is a very old thread but anyone has the blue print for the 4 bulbs Insta-alarm alarm system to share? Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Re: Crozier Alarm

I have the standard hatt alarm, and speaking from experience the only things on it that aren't powered when the engines are off are the engine-related functions. The high water alarms, shore power low voltage alarm, fire alarms, all those kind of things still work even when the engines are off.