Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mikep996 Guest

Grrr...Marinas and ice!!!

This falls under the well-known "If you want anything done right, do it yourself" category.

Last night I was down at the boat removing and replacing the 8V71TIs' airbox checkvalves and re-aligning them so they actually all point down. When I finished, I was leaving the boat when I noticed that the swim platform (boat is stern-to the dock) was firmly jammed against the dock.

Before the ice set in, there was a couple of feet of clearance with the spring lines firmly holding the boat at that distance. The marina has bubblers which, I had ASSUMED were doing a good job. Unfortuantely, I totally failed to notice that although they were keeping the stern and sides of the boat clear of ice, they were doing nothing to reduce the ice forward of the windshield area or thereabouts.

SO...the ice has been slowly building up and forcing the boat backward. If it continues, it will inexorably, and at minimum, crumple the swim platform. I am not a happy guy. I spent a lot of timing standing on the lines, trying to get some movement. Initially, there was none at all. After a while, I finally got the boat to rock back and forth fairly freely. It was dark by then and for lack of anything else, I poured multiple gallons of non-toxic antifreeze onto the ice at the bow, hoping it would at least soften the ice a bit.

I'm especially annoyed at myself because 2 months ago I thought about buying an Ice-eater but decided I didn't need one because the marina has bubblers. Even worse, around the same time I was talking to a guy who's been at the marina for years. He was hanging an ice eater and I asked him why he bothered since there were bubblers. He said the same thing that I always say - don't rely on others to protect your stuff, do it yourself.
    So this is one of those great cases of ignoring not only my own feelings but good advice from someone else.

I am frantically trying to locate an ice eater today so I can get it in this evening. BUT, of course, there are none around. I can get one on the internet and pay the (gulp) overnight shipping which is over a hundred bucks. Admittedly, compared to the possible damage that can result, $100 is basically meaningless so after I make a couple more calls and come up empty, I'll order it.

I should have bought the dang thing when I first thought, "I should buy that ice eater." The REALLY ironic part is that last week, before this was an issue, I had already decided that I would buy an ice eater for next winter just for "comfort."

I HATE constantly relearning these kinds of lessons. Don't make the same kind of mistake - if you have a feeling you should do something...DO IT!

I'm just hoping I can stave off serious damage...

Passages Guest

Ouch!! The big squeeze

Mike,
    Agree, pay the $100 and sleep easier. How thick is the ice? Will you be able break it up using a pole from the bow? Resist the temptation to walk on the ice to the bow and break it up with an Axe. If you fall in, the cost of replacing a swim platform will seem inconsequential.

Bob Bradley Guest

Ice

I would avoid breaking up the ice if at all possible. You are more likely to do damage to the boat by pounding around it, and then having jagged ice rubbing against it, than the ice will do by itself. Are you sure someone didn't reposition your lines? There should be no reason that the ice is pushing your boat into the slip. I've wintered in many times, including this year, and I've had my ice eater fail on occasion - plastic bags foul them easily. All that has ever happened is that ice may form, and then thaw. The one time I broke it up with a 2x4, I scratched up the hull a bit.

MicroKap Guest

Ice Eater

I bought my 1hp Ice Eater at PYacht.com this fall. It was less expensive than the 1/2 or 3/4 hp models that were available at Boater's World or West Marine. You can also buy a thermostat for around $45 that plugs in-line with the unit. Mine seems to be working fine. They were quick to place the order and get it delivered to me.

Larry K.
    1980 60' SF
    The rest of the marina in Monmouth Beach, NJ is frozen even with the "new" bubble system.

mikep996 Guest

ice

Bob,

I don't think anyone moved the lines.

It's a problem here and several of the larger boats in the marina are facing possible damage due to advancing ice. The bubblers on the docks and fingers work fine for smaller boats but the 53 sticks out too far beyond their coverage. I talked to the yardmaster this morning and he said he would move one of the marina ice eaters from a less critical area to my slip. The weather is moderating over the next few days so if no damage has been done yet, it should be OK.

A 60ft Pacemaker two slips down from me was in exactly the same situation - jammed against the dock. I found out this morning that he realized it a couple of days ago and bought the last local ice eater! Even with the marina ice eater and the moderating weather, I am still buying an ice eater - it will be here tomorrow and I will install it. I figure the comfort level is WELL worth the expense.

MORNING STAR Guest

Ice

Mike,

I just had a crazy idea that probably won't work!!!! I know that you winterized but if you have water in your tanks I would turn on my hot water heater and use a hose from your engine room spigot and use hot water to melt the ice from the bow enough so you can get the pressure off the swim platform. remember your tabs are down there as well. What a mess!! I would get the pressure off ASAP!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Dennis

Bob Bradley Guest

Side Bet

Wanna bet that the marina is more interested in protecting their docks with the ice eaters than your boat?

Where are you moored?

mikep996 Guest

Re: Side Bet

No - that's a bet I wouldn't touch. But as long as their concern for their dock also happens to solve my concern for my boat, I'm OK with it as temporary fix. As I said, I will never be unprepared for this issue again.

I'm at Brittania Marina in Northport, NY, on the north shore of Long Island about 4 miles east of NYC. It's actually a pretty nice marina and very convenient. It's about a 2 minute drive from my house or a 5 minute walk.

PascalG Guest

ice...

why can't you take a 2x4, long enough and pound the ice from teh bow? is it that thick?

i can't imagine broken ice doing any damage to a hatteras hull!

disclaimer... no experience in these situations :-)

pascal

Jaxfishgyd Guest

Ice

Hey Pas,
    The only ice we know about here in Florida is what we get out of our icemakers for drinks.......