Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New law

Re: New law

Bueraucrats run amuck. Overpaid and underworked idiots who would could not get a job sweeping the floor.

So this "regulation" doesn't actually do anything at all from what I can tell. There are no requirements of any kind associated with it. This doesn't help "clean" the environment in any way, it just requires that now there is an additional fee to have a boat because among other things, when it rains, the rain water lands on the boat and then runs off the boat into the "main" water.

Hmm...the rain falling on cars and then onto the land surely does far more damage considering the number of cars. OOPS, dang, hope they didn't read that! Were planning to seriously buy into the gas guzzler car world in the near future; don't want yet another fee...

Interesting distinction between cars & boats. With cars, there are General Storm Water permits which are applied to commercial parking lots, but not the cars. On boats, the same issue is passed on to the individual vessel owner.

The whole thing is silly and even the EPA is trying to appeal the ruling. Even canoes & kayaks are affected. What about my daughters beach floaties that are left out in the rain?

...unreal.
    Last edited by Passages; 06-17-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Jim ,

for a small fee, I'll file the permit application for your daughters!

Well, if you think the aforementioned long legalese and results are "bad", then bend over grab our collective ankles. I get the distinct impression we are about to acquire the single most left wing Prez, Congress, and later new Supremes to boot.

Maybe my concern is misplaced, but whatever set of mores, values, and general relationship we have had to the government is either going to disappear or dramatically change for the worse. I have seen the feds up close and personal for many a year and it won't be pretty.

I am not at all exagerating that we are gravitating (downword) to the same lifestyle previously "enjoyed" by 3rd world countries. E.g., ride your bikes, very high fuel costs, limited supplies and wear your flip-flops cuz you have to , not because it is cool. Is supply side econ dead?

Boy, am i grumpy tonight and I am having a good week!

On a good note, all the Buick Enclaves are sold out at many dealers and are on back order. My son says many of the windshields shipped from pre-supply to the assy plants are sporting 'sold' stickers, meaning they are already spoken for at the dealers. Still in short supply and my wife wants one! Tiger likes his for real!!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jim ,

for a small fee, I'll file the permit application for your daughters!
    Thanks Nick, you're a pal.
    I'll pay you with Lobster next month in Westbrook.

BTW, Freebird is joining us this year and will be arriving by BOAT!

Ferry????????
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just copied this from Boatnerd.com Its a bit simplified and easier to read.
    I think we're OK for now, but ya gotta know that SHEIST runs downhill! ws

EPA Proposes Vessel Discharge Permits

6/18 - Washington, DC – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is proposing two general permits under the Clean Water Act that will cover discharges incidental to normal operation of commercial and recreational vessels. Based on agency estimates, as many as 91,000 commercial vessels and about 13 million recreational boats could be affected.

“EPA is proposing a practical approach as we work with Congress on a longer-term, comprehensive solution,” said Assistant Administrator for Water Benjamin H. Grumbles. “We believe it is good environmental policy and common sense to promote clean boating without imposing new permits on millions of boaters.”

As a result of a court ruling currently under appeal, vessel owners or operators whose discharges have previously been exempt from Clean Water Act requirements for the last 35 years will require a permit as of September 30, 2008. EPA is proposing control technologies and management practices that enhance environmental protection and are practical to implement.

The commercial and large recreational vessel general permit (VGP) would cover all commercial vessels and recreational vessels 79 feet or longer. For vessels that carry ballast water, it would incorporate the Coast Guard mandatory ballast water management and exchange standards, and have supplemental ballast water requirements. The VGP would provide technology-based and water-quality-based effluent limits for other types of discharges including deck runoff, bilge water, gray water and other types of pollutants.

The permit also establishes specific corrective actions, inspections and monitoring requirements as well as recordkeeping and reporting requirements. Only a subset of the vessels potentially affected by this permit will have to submit a Notice of Intent for coverage; for all the other vessels their coverage would be automatic.

The permit for smaller recreational vessels measuring less than 79 feet in length contains simpler provisions. These smaller vessels, which are substantially different in both size and operation from larger vessels, would need to comply with new and established best management practices. In addition, these smaller vessels would not be required to submit a Notice of Intent for coverage under the permit; their coverage would be automatic.

EPA is inviting comments on both proposed permits for a period of 45 days. EPA will be holding public meetings and a hearing starting June 19. June 19 - Washington, DC meeting; June 24 - Portland, Oregon meeting; June 26 - Chicago, Illinois meeting; July 2 - public Webcast meeting; and July 21 - Washington, DC hearing

Information on the permits and meetings: http://www.epa.gov/npdes/vessels

Ohio DNR News Release
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

All of this nonsense got me thinking about our large fish population. I'm certain that they don't "hold it" to search out some environmentally friendly place to "let loose." Like maybe 15 miles off shore. Here in the NW, the most visible wildfowl problem is with Canadian honkers. These buggers, while pretty to look at, can poop over three pounds a day. They foul Lake Washington yards and beaches to the point that some public beaches have to be closed occassionally due to fecal polution. At one beach, the state, in its infinite wisdom, laid in a pipe on the bottom of the lake to move the stinky water away from the beach and deposit it further out in the middle of the lake. What a solution.

If the courts, EPA or anyone else in the government really wanted to help, they'd figure out how to regulate these stinky fish and honkers rather than worrying about a bit of rain water dripping off my boat.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    If the courts, EPA or anyone else in the government really wanted to help, they'd figure out how to regulate these stinky fish and honkers rather than worrying about a bit of rain water dripping off my boat.

Dick
    Startling as it may be, the MI DNR has announced that it now finds that, after the Upper Great Lakes fish populations were "collapsed" (read the Cormorants ate all the fish), that there is a "linkage" to Cormorant populations. Also, I notice the Seagull populations are down, due to competitive pressure from the Cormorants as well.

Sooo, the DNR is actually going to authorize shooting the bad birds. Not just oil the eggshells as in the past (how in the dickens does one get to the nest? Where are the nests, etc. etc.). What the average person could "by observation" tell was a very bad situation, i.e. massage flocks of Cormorants where none existed for the past 100 years, is now recognized after 8 or 9 years of unchecked growth. Hope the damage is reversible!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...