Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    PascalG Guest

generator problem

had a problem with my norpro 18 this week end...

fired up but woudl shut down after 10 seconds. thinking it was one of the safety switches (press and temp) I bypassed them but didn't make a difference.

looking at the wiring diagram, i noticed a timer which activates these switches. I disconnected the run solenoid (it's fed thru the timer) and connected it directly to 12v. started the genset, kept going after the 10 seconds so thought I had fond the problem...

not so. after about 10 minutes it stopped. wouldn't restart for a while. after trying various thigns I noticed that the run solenoid shuts down after a couple of minutes when hot. Genset off, if i activate manually, i can hear it clicking off after 2 or 3 minutes.

is that an possible failure mode for a soleniod, gets hot and shuts down?

i find it odd that both the timer AND the solenoid woudl fail basically at the same time... i know the timer is bad since it shuts down after 10 seconds but the solenoid too?

pascal
    miami, fl
    70 hatteras 53my

PascalG Guest

generator problem...

forgot to mention that the newly installed freedom 30 inverter litterally saved the week end. The 8 golf cart bateries provided power for the fridge, lights, Tvs, sat receivers, microwave, toaster, etc... an when we got back to the dock this afternoon, we still had power after almost 30 hours!

pascal

Trojan Guest

Re: generator problem...

Sounds like you have a bad coil in the solenoid.Recheck your timer it may be good.Its standard practice for a coil to open up after power is applied heating it up.Bill